HDS - Need Advice on housing

Johnny.S

Hi folks! I've recently got off the fence and accepted HDS' offer. So I'm going to live in HDS area for 2 years. 

I know this question should go to 'City' forum, but, as you know, that forum got too crowded during this season and only little helpful information is offered at the 'Boston' forum.

I'd like to hear from current or former HDS student (or BTI friends) on affordable housing ideas at/around HDS (or general Harvard Area). 

1) I plan to move in  mid-August, when should I start to look for apartments? I've been searching HU Campus Housing page and Harvard Off-Campus Housing, but I don't see any reasonable houses. .. Harvard Campus Housing is extremely expensive and their usual move-in seems like early July- which is too early for me. On the other hands, most of off-campus apartments(from Harvard's off-campus webpage) say the usual move-in date will be SEPT 1st- which is too late (I have to participate in Orientation starts on 24 AUG). 

2)  What is the "reasonable" rent to pay for a month in off-Cambridge areas?

I know the official financial handbook says budget for housing is $11,700 for 9 months which is approximately $1300 per month. But I heard that $1,000 should be a decent budget for rent in *OUTER* cambridge, especially, as long as I am sharing with a roommate. I'm looking for a one-bedrooms for $900 (if I can have a separated room, the other inconveniences should be totally fine) and a shared-room for $600-700. It is possible?  And do you have any suggestion or tip for finding a suitable place? 

3) That said,  any recommendations on where to go (find)?

I'm thinking about heading outside of Cambridge. Although I'm going to live without a car during my Boston years (dear friend of mine said having a car in boston/ parking in Harvard areas is a nightmare), it seems like public transportations are quite convenient and nice in Boston Area (and I love using public transportations).  I heard there are a fair number of buses that run right into HDS area with some frequency.  As for me, I'm also thinking about biking will be a nice option when the weather permits.  Besides, I do enjoy walking or running, so if it's within walkable distance (probably 25-30 min. by foot) I'm totally fine!

4) Lastly, how do you think about the CSWR housing?(and what are the chances of actually getting it?) And Does anyone have any information on if people split the rent for some of the apartments at CSWR and how that might be arranged, if accepted?  I know it's a bit pricy. But If 3 bedroom houses can be shared and split up into three, I think it's not a bad option (I mostly can't afford the other grad housings and other CSWR housings).  My application is almost done now, but I'm hesitant about submitting it. 

Or any suggestions on where to live, thought on general housing situation, and tips will be appreciated. 

P.S. If there are any grad cafe folks looking for a roommate/housemate, I'd like to know (or feel free to PM me)  

Random thoughts, based on having lived for six years in Cambridge:

1. 85% of Boston/Cambridge-area apartments will have move-in dates that are either June 1 or September 1. You may be able to find August 1, although these are much rarer. You should be looking now. The deadline to let landlords know you won't be renewing a lease is often 3 months ahead of time, sometimes 2, so there should be big increases in listings around May 1 and June 1.

2. $900 for a one-bedroom apartment is not going to happen. $900 for one bedroom in a 3-4 bedroom apartment/house is doable. Maybe that's what you meant.

3. Many HDS students will probably live in Somerville (especially in and around Inman Square, although this is getting more expensive) or possibly Medford, maybe some sections of Arlington. Both have decent bus access into Harvard Square. You should look at places in Allston, which is the neighborhood of Boston that is right across the Charles River from Cambridge. Be careful--there are a lot of sketchy landlords in this area who prey on students, especially international students who are willing to rent an apartment sight unseen. I would also recommend looking in areas of Dorchester that are close to the Red Line. You can easily get from Dorchester to Harvard Square in 30-40 minutes, depending on how far you are from the T (the subway).

One other idea: it may be worth looking into intentional communities in the area, for example the Beacon Hill Friends House.

On 4/16/2017 at 2:03 AM, runningit said:

Random thoughts, based on having lived for six years in Cambridge:

1. 85% of Boston/Cambridge-area apartments will have move-in dates that are either June 1 or September 1. You may be able to find August 1, although these are much rarer. You should be looking now. The deadline to let landlords know you won't be renewing a lease is often 3 months ahead of time, sometimes 2, so there should be big increases in listings around May 1 and June 1.

2. $900 for a one-bedroom apartment is not going to happen. $900 for one bedroom in a 3-4 bedroom apartment/house is doable. Maybe that's what you meant.

3. Many HDS students will probably live in Somerville (especially in and around Inman Square, although this is getting more expensive) or possibly Medford, maybe some sections of Arlington. Both have decent bus access into Harvard Square. You should look at places in Allston, which is the neighborhood of Boston that is right across the Charles River from Cambridge. Be careful--there are a lot of sketchy landlords in this area who prey on students, especially international students who are willing to rent an apartment sight unseen. I would also recommend looking in areas of Dorchester that are close to the Red Line. You can easily get from Dorchester to Harvard Square in 30-40 minutes, depending on how far you are from the T (the subway).

One other idea: it may be worth looking into intentional communities in the area, for example the Beacon Hill Friends House.

Thanks so much for the reply. 

I also felt I should be looking now.. but there aren't many listings. So I think I should be diligent in searching until late-May. As you might guess, I obviously meant a one-bedroom *in a multi-bedroom apartment*. And it seems like there's just not a lot of one-bedroom units( in a multi-bedroom apartment) in my price range.  And as you mention in your "reply 1", I think I should go with SEP 1, but being homeless for seven days should be no laughing matter. I also have to find a way to solve this problem.  

I will bear in mine what you advised when I search for a place. And also thanks for suggesting possible alternatives .

Check out this FB group for $900 or less rooms: https://www.facebook.com/groups/xcellentroommates/

I'll be living in Allston (though I'm not going to HDS, I'll be at BU), which is about 30 - 60 minutes away from HDS via public transit. Managed to find a place for just over $1000 in a 2-bedroom, which seems to be the average for the area though there are cheaper places. One advantage of Allston is it's also close to BU and BC so if you are intending to take classes outside of HDS it may be a good choice. 

I'm a current Harvard student and I have not paid more than $750/month in rent because I chose to live a bit further out. My first year I lived in Watertown (3 bed, 1 bath) in an apartment I found on Craigslist and this year I live in Medford with two friends (3 bed, 1 bath). In both cases, the commute is a bit longer because I'm not on the T (45 mins), but I saved so much money in rent that it was worth it for me. Especially if you bike, I would highly recommend looking outside of Cambridge/Somerville. Also, your friend is right that parking around Harvard is a nightmare, but if you live further out it isn't too much of a hassle. Watertown has (for the most part) unrestricted street parking, and my apartment in Medford has a driveway (and many apartments around Davis Square do as well). I never drive to class, but having a car is great for getting around to the grocery store and other places since I don't live near the T. Just something to keep in mind. You can also join the Harvard Grad Market page on Facebook to see Harvard people posting room openings.

Edited by alephbet

I went to seminary outside of Boston with wonderful on-campus housing, so I have no specific advice to offer, but I did go to church in the city and know my church had an on-line roommate board since students made up a large percentage of the congregants.  If you are religiously inclined, you may find other churches/places of worship in the area have similar things with people looking for roommates, etc.

A little late to this thread, but the advice here is generally pretty good. I would suggest living on the Cambridge side of the Charles, even if that means you have to live a little farther out. The red line is quick and pretty reliable, so I would even look as far out as Davis Sq. That area leading up to Harvard is also incredibly bike-friendly, so you shouldn't have trouble getting around. Allston and Brighton do have some affordable housing, but as someone above suggested, it's much more sketchy (IMO) than the neighborhoods north of the city and it won't save you much time. Your price should be totally fine if you're open to living with others. If you want a place of your own, you CAN find studios (maybe a one bedroom?) for around $1300, you just have to dig deep in the mire that is Boston area Craigslist and not be too picky. 

On 4/25/2017 at 9:04 AM, KnightGeorge said:

A little late to this thread, but the advice here is generally pretty good. I would suggest living on the Cambridge side of the Charles, even if that means you have to live a little farther out. The red line is quick and pretty reliable, so I would even look as far out as Davis Sq. That area leading up to Harvard is also incredibly bike-friendly, so you shouldn't have trouble getting around. Allston and Brighton do have some affordable housing, but as someone above suggested, it's much more sketchy (IMO) than the neighborhoods north of the city and it won't save you much time. Your price should be totally fine if you're open to living with others. If you want a place of your own, you CAN find studios (maybe a one bedroom?) for around $1300, you just have to dig deep in the mire that is Boston area Craigslist and not be too picky. 

Thanks! I'm so relieved with your comment.