Research Supervisor

jenniferkp

Hi all, 

I'm applying to one research-based program this fall (the other two I'm planning on applying to are professional). Therefore, I need a supervisor. However, how early is too early to scope out a supervisor and contact them via email? I've been looking online and I am hoping that the person I'm looking to supervise me agrees to it, however, I'm not sure if its too soon? 

When did you or would you suggest contacting a prospective supervisor? 

Cheers! 

When I applied to grad programs in Canada, I did it about 1-2 months before applications were due, but our fields may be different.

It's not too early to scope out programs and supervisors though, but I'd wait until the fall term has begun and is well underway before reaching out. One exception is if the deadlines for your field are in Feb, then I would suggest November instead of December.

On 4/14/2017 at 8:56 PM, TakeruK said:

When I applied to grad programs in Canada, I did it about 1-2 months before applications were due, but our fields may be different.

It's not too early to scope out programs and supervisors though, but I'd wait until the fall term has begun and is well underway before reaching out. One exception is if the deadlines for your field are in Feb, then I would suggest November instead of December.

Thanks @TakeruK my applications open in December, looking at a MSc in population and public health at UBC. I like your thought to wait until the fall! Don't want to be too eager.