Public & International Affairs Programs - Don't go without a big scholarship

Check out median starting salaries coming out of these programs. Even the most elite range from $55-90k annual. I am talking about Hopkins SAIS, Fletcher MALD, Georgetown MSFS, and Columbia SIPA. 

These numbers are abysmal when you consider the perceived prestige of the programs, the competitiveness to get in, and the (usually very significant) prior work experience of the entering class. Top-tier public and international affairs programs cannot compete on salary with even third-tier regional MBA programs.

I went for the intrinsic value and because it was a life-long dream, but I would advise all out there to be very careful about "just going" and to drive a hard bargain if you get in. Paying full or nearly-full tuition just isn't worth it for at least 80% of prospective applicants.   

On 4/15/2017 at 8:06 PM, went_away said:

Check out median starting salaries coming out of these programs. Even the most elite range from $55-90k annual. I am talking about Hopkins SAIS, Fletcher MALD, Georgetown MSFS, and Columbia SIPA. 

These numbers are abysmal when you consider the perceived prestige of the programs, the competitiveness to get in, and the (usually very significant) prior work experience of the entering class. Top-tier public and international affairs programs cannot compete on salary with even third-tier regional MBA programs.

I went for the intrinsic value and because it was a life-long dream, but I would advise all out there to be very careful about "just going" and to drive a hard bargain if you get in. Paying full or nearly-full tuition just isn't worth it for at least 80% of prospective applicants.   

I've tried to measure the debt I'm willing to take on against what I'll likely make out of school, which one of the main reasons why I chose CMU with a 60% scholarship.

1 hour ago, ExponentialDecay said:

The peanut gallery wants to know, how much did OP pay for his Fletcher degree?

My scholarship offer worked out to half tuition and I continued to work at my moderately well-paid job while in school.