Book recomendations re: academia

Adelaide9216

This one is a lighter read but it's meant for STEM fields. However, some aspects may transfer to you as well. It's written by a current scientist employed at a NASA center who also happens to be a musician on the side. It applies what he has learned from marketing in the music industry to academia. 

I don't agree with everything in it but I think the tips on presentation and how you "brand" yourself are enlightening. 

Marketing for scientists: How to shine in tough times

• 2 weeks later...

I'm reading a very interesting book right now called The Slow Professor by Barbara Seeber and Maggie Berg (two female academics). It's a quick read about the corporatization of the university and how it impacts life as a scholar. It is mostly confirming what I already know to be true (at least in Canada) but it's worth a read.

• 3 weeks later...

I just became a MFA Graduate of CUNY Hunter. I plan on taking a well deserved break from Art History & Science readings.

The do-gooder and the hero are two characters that I've been finding interest in.

Belief and experience, written in the genre of biographies & memoirs.

1. The Good Samaritan written by Sonny Harris and published on August 11, 2011.

2. On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft written by Stephen King and published on October 3, 2000.

-Keep on writing

Rene

170580258.jpeg

Screen Shot 2017-05-17 at 6.28.53 PM.png

A colleague recommended this and I bought it about a month ago.

"At The Helm: A Laboratory Navigator" by Kathy Barker.

https://www.amazon.com/At-Helm-Laboratory-Navigator-Handbooks/dp/0879695838

p.s, I was told not to buy the other book "At the Bench" by the same author. However, "At the Helm" is more comprehensive (and repeats much of the info found in "At the Bench").

5 hours ago, orange turtle said:

A colleague recommended this and I bought it about a month ago.

"At The Helm: A Laboratory Navigator" by Kathy Barker.

https://www.amazon.com/At-Helm-Laboratory-Navigator-Handbooks/dp/0879695838

p.s, I was told not to buy the other book "At the Bench" by the same author. However, "At the Helm" is more comprehensive (and repeats much of the info found in "At the Bench").

Depends where you are. At the Helm is written for new faculty, At the Bench for senior undergrads and new grad students. 

I wouldn't recommend At the Helm for grad students, personally, but I give At the Bench as a graduation gift to my undergrads.