Texas A&M

Bobb Cobb

The TAA doesn't own the complex or unit. Your lease should state the owner's name and mailing address. TAA is more a governing body that MOST management companies and owners belong to. Believe it or not, it's a mutually beneficial arrangement. For example, if they are a TAA member and it is a TAA lease and you move out, they have 30 days to refund your security deposit and/or an itemized list of deductions to account for any monies withheld. If they do not send it within 30 days (or at all), you should mail them a certified return receipt notice to remind them of the law and that they have [a specified amount of time, 5 business days is fairly common] to refund the entire deposit or you will file suit for the refund x3 and all court fees. More often than not, this letter gets you a check within 2 days. I know of a few people who actually had filed a lawsuit and got the 3x. IF you have to file a lawsuit, the ruling is pretty much automatic in your favor, as the law is quite clear on this.

I rented in Texas for 10 years. Your landlord (or their agent) MUST leave in writing a notice in plain sight when they've entered the premises. In all my 10 years, I only experienced an "illegal" entry once. Even then it was a subcontractor repairing a neighboring unit and after I filed a police report (the entry was obvious), the management company apologized and fired the subcontractor. Every other entry at every other property was with my prior knowledge or request. Examples include when they were showing the property to a prospective tenant or something needed to be repaired.

As for the two months notice, some only require 30 days, but 60 isn't unheard of. And yes, it means strangers COULD be in your apartment when you're not there. When I was moving out of a property, nine times out of ten, I was home when they showed it to a prospective tenant. So, I either helped with the showing or hung out on the back porch for 10 minutes. Most of my landlords or management companies appreciated that I was there to answer honest questions about how I liked the property/them. I now rent in Georgia and my landlord has the same requirements. In fact, when I viewed my house, the previous tenant was in the middle of packing.

Edited by dacey

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Arrived in town today. Very humid.

I was just there this weekend....coming from PA it's totally fine. It's really not humid imo. Plus every building I was in was rigorously air conditioned to the point where I took a buttondown with me inside the newer chem building as it was that cold.

Speaking of moving to town, I just got an offer from a professor for paid summer research so I'll be there by next week :) So we'll see just how hot this summer gets haha.

I was just there this weekend....coming from PA it's totally fine. It's really not humid imo. Plus every building I was in was rigorously air conditioned to the point where I took a buttondown with me inside the newer chem building as it was that cold.

Speaking of moving to town, I just got an offer from a professor for paid summer research so I'll be there by next week :) So we'll see just how hot this summer gets haha.

I'm from Southern California, where there is no such thing as humidity. It's a big change for us. You're right. The upside is the extreme airconditioning everywhere. :-) We're in the middle of the second storm since we've gotten here. The lightening at night is fantastic.

• 1 month later...

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use