Ontario Grad. Scholarship versus Canadian Grad.Scholarship

Lauren770

I am fortunate to be doing a part-time MSW in Fall at York university. I received the CGS for $17500 which I accepted. I also just received the Ontario Grad. Scholarship.

Do I decline the latter as I don't need both?

Any info around this would be great.

Thank you

Lauren 

If you can have both at the same time, I don't see why you wouldn't. If you have to choose, the one that pays more makes more sense, unless there is a difference in prestige that somehow matters. Or maybe you can look into postponing one, if they are each one-year awards. 

Hi,

You can't have CGS and OGS at the same time : 

- Cannot hold an OGS award at the same time (or during any session) as a scholarship from SSHRC, NSERC, CIHR, QEII-GSST from any given year.

https://www.sgs.utoronto.ca/currentstudents/Pages/Ontario-Graduate-Scholarship.aspx

However, maybe you can have the CGS now (because it's the one that pays more) and get the OGS for the rest of your master studies. For example, I was awarded both CGS and FRQSC (similar to OGS but in Quebec) last year. I received the CGS from May 2016 to April 2017, and will receive only one payment from FRQSC for Summer 2017 (because I will graduate in August, but I'm eligible to 2 more semesters). I don't know if its possible with OGS but you should look into it. If it's your first year as a master student, maybe you can have the CGS for your first year and the OGS for your second.   

Congratulations on winning both! Unfortunately, as others pointed out, you cannot hold both at the same time. I do not think you can defer the OGS either but if you got it this year, you will likely to win it again next year. The max value of the OGS is 15,000 (5000 per term) and the OGS is generally easier to obtain (more awards available) than the CGS-M. A lot of students who win the CGS-M (one year) will go onto an OGS the second year. 

That said,  I am not 100% sure if you get the full value of the CGS-M if you are part-time? You should check what the OGS policies are for part-time students and check that it's not more than the CGS-M. Also, as @Brillantine11 said, since you can get the OGS on a per-term basis, if you aren't taking the entire year of CGS-M for some reason, maybe you can take the OGS for just one of the terms where you aren't receiving CGS-M funding.

Otherwise, if you are receiving the full CGS-M money for sure, then decline the OGS and apply for it next year. Note that there is a max # of years funded by both OGS and CGS-M, and that the years in which you hold a CGS-M count against your OGS eligibility but the years where you hold a OGS do not affect your national fellowship eligibility. (i.e. another sign that the CGS-M is more prestigious than the OGS).

Thank you all for the advice!

I was told by the Faculty of Graduate Studies that I cannot accept the OGS part-time however the CGS should be fine with part time therefore I shall decline the OGS.

I  like the CGS because from what I understand it publishes your research?

34 minutes ago, Lauren770 said:

Thank you all for the advice!

I was told by the Faculty of Graduate Studies that I cannot accept the OGS part-time however the CGS should be fine with part time therefore I shall decline the OGS.

I  like the CGS because from what I understand it publishes your research?

I don't think there is anything about the CGS-M that publishes your research. The purpose of both scholarships is the same, and that is to fund students while they are doing research, and hopefully that will be published, but there is nothing guaranteed about publishing through CGS-M. It is a federal grant agency, not a publishing house, if that helps clarify things.

• 11 months later...

Came here to ask the same question as OP! Few other things...

Following what @TakeruK said about holding the CGS M going against your chances for an OGS in the future - does that mean it's less likely to receive an OGS after a CGS M? I'm in the same situation as the OP cept I'm starting FT studies at York in fall. I've already accepted the CGS M for first year (of course, because it is more prestigious and $$) and will decline the OGS I was offered, but just planning out the second year of my Masters and wondering if I can kinda plan for/expect an OGS. Also, does anyone know if those limits extend through to Doctoral studies or does it (hopefully!) rest when you apply for the SSHRC instead of the CGS M?

4 hours ago, reddcurry said:

Following what @TakeruK said about holding the CGS M going against your chances for an OGS in the future - does that mean it's less likely to receive an OGS after a CGS M?

No, in fact, if you win the CGS-M, you are likely to also win the OGS (as you have already experienced). I wrote:

On 4/20/2017 at 6:26 AM, TakeruK said:

the OGS is generally easier to obtain (more awards available) than the CGS-M. A lot of students who win the CGS-M (one year) will go onto an OGS the second year. 

But, what I did say was that the Ontario Government sets a limit on the number of years you can hold an OGS or CGS-M / CGS-D in the past and still be eligible for the OGS. Holding the CGS-M counts as one year towards this eligibility. This is not a good reason to *not* take the CGS-M though, since holding a OGS also counts towards this time limit! 

Maybe I was a little unclear on how this influences future OGS applications. To be clear, what I mean is that as long as you are eligible, then the number of past awards won't count against you (actually will probably help you). Hope that clears it up :)

On 2017-04-18 at 9:17 PM, Lauren770 said:

I am fortunate to be doing a part-time MSW in Fall at York university. I received the CGS for $17500 which I accepted. I also just received the Ontario Grad. Scholarship.

Do I decline the latter as I don't need both?

Any info around this would be great.

Thank you

Lauren 

I believe you can't have both at the same time. But CGS-M is more prestigious. It also makes you more likely to win the Ontario Grad Scholarship in the following year. The more scholarships you get, even the small ones, the better it is for the most prestigious ones. 

PS : I'm also a MSW but in Quebec. I got CGS-M for 2017-2018 and am waiting for the Quebec Grad scholarship (FRQSC) for 2018-2019 (should know by the end of the month). 

Edited by Adelaide9216

7 hours ago, lovelife905 said:

Does anyone know if get your last OGS payment in may can you start your SSHRC in may as well?

pretty sure you had to select September

Edited by PsychBoy