What to do when you get rejected from grad school

slpcandidate

I have recently applied to graduate school for speech language pathology. I am currently wait-listed at two schools. I am wondering what you recommend pursuing during your gap year to increase your application and chances for grad school when I reapply next year. My GPA (3.3) and GRE scores are very low. I am already planning on retaking the GRE this summer and I am considering retaking classes to increase my GPA. I am wondering what you've done as far as employment goes for gain experiences in related professions. For example, have you become an SLPA, paraprofessional, PCA, etc... Honestly, I'm just looking for various ideas to gain more experience since I am very passionate about the field of speech language pathology and I am hoping to get accepted next year. 

Thanks for any ideas or recommendation. 

If you haven't taken the GRE more than once, I'd say buy Magoosh and retake it. Ask some professors at your current program what they think you should do during the gap year to improve your application. They might have some good ideas especially if they are on the admissions committee for the grad program. 

My gap year was spent taking a couple classes to finish pre reqs and I also started taking ASL. I have been working part time in a hospital as a rehab tech assisting PT, OT and SLPs. I took my GRE twice, but don't think it's worth a third time considering a professor advised against it. 

I am approaching my second gap year/third year applying, as I am also waitlisted at 2 schools (and don't have a good feeling).  I'm applying for my paraprofessional license and hoping to get a job for the school year. It'll be full time and more hands on with special ed/kids which I think is what I enjoy more. But before I do this, I'm definitely reaching out to my professors to see what they think. 

BEST OF LUCK! You never know what will happen with those waitlists :) and don't give up!!