Is it time to Give Up Hope?

hstrot

My top choice school - and now my last hope - has yet to send out any information regarding their decisions. Every online "admission status check" still says "Under review," etc.. However, this is a program that has an intended Summer 2017 program start, and today (April 21st) marks the beginning of the university's preregistration for summer classes. So, my question is: is it time to give up hope for this round of admissions?

3 hours ago, tonydoesmovie said:

Have you reached out to the University for an admissions update?

2 hours ago, limonchello said:

If this is for Masters instead of Doctorate, then decisions can come out much later. I would however call the department, because you should know SOMETHING.

Thanks for your responses! This is for a masters program. I reached out to the department about two weeks ago, checking and and asking if they had everything they needed for my application. They're response, which came very quickly, was that yes, they had everything they needed, and that my application was ready for committee review. So, at that point the implication was that applications had yet to be formally reviewed. I thanked them for their response and haven't had any updates since. 

Thoughts? 

36 minutes ago, hstrot said:

Thanks for your responses! This is for a masters program. I reached out to the department about two weeks ago, checking and and asking if they had everything they needed for my application. They're response, which came very quickly, was that yes, they had everything they needed, and that my application was ready for committee review. So, at that point the implication was that applications had yet to be formally reviewed. I thanked them for their response and haven't had any updates since. 

Thoughts? 

You could follow up requesting that, while you know you can't be given a concrete date, could they offer a timeline in which to expect responses to begin and/or end. Be polite and respectful. Explain your inquiry is based on the info you gave us regarding summer pre-registration. Use this as an opportunity to also get more information on that end as well.

I am on the same boat. I have contacted the university and I am applying to Masters. Same answer: they are still reviewing applications. It is awful because I go back and fourth in the idea that they are holding my application in a supposed waiting list or they are just waiting to send out a massive "denied" to all those waiting. Anyone has an idea when Masters usually are accepted?

Canadian places are annoying as hell. I still haven't heard back from three Canadian places. If they don't want me, why not reject me and put me out of my misery? I submitted my application way back in January. May be some of my criticism is unwarranted but this is incredibly annoying. 

3 hours ago, andijo said:

I am on the same boat. I have contacted the university and I am applying to Masters. Same answer: they are still reviewing applications. It is awful because I go back and fourth in the idea that they are holding my application in a supposed waiting list or they are just waiting to send out a massive "denied" to all those waiting. Anyone has an idea when Masters usually are accepted?

That's exactly my thought process - it's frustrating not to know whether committees are, in fact, still reviewing applications, or if they are waiting for commitments by those they accepted before they send out their rejections. 

4 hours ago, tonydoesmovie said:

You could follow up requesting that, while you know you can't be given a concrete date, could they offer a timeline in which to expect responses to begin and/or end. Be polite and respectful. Explain your inquiry is based on the info you gave us regarding summer pre-registration. Use this as an opportunity to also get more information on that end as well.

Thanks for this advice - I will likely do this next week if I still haven't heard anything. I am taking a little comfort in the fact that the department seems not to have notified ANY of it's Masters programs yet - not just the program to which I applied. So, maybe they're waiting until they have made all of their department decisions before sending out notifications. Still, more concrete information would be helpful, even if it's just to put my mind at rest while continuing to wait!