Is SOPHAS worth it?

Rasb91

Hey all, 

I am applying in fall 2017 for a PhD program in Epidemiology to a couple of institutions. I am aware that PH schools in the US use (prefer) the centralized application portal, SOPHAS. I am an international applicant attending graduate school in Europe, and applying as an international student requires more time and financial resources, with additional tests such as TOEFL and transcript evaluations via WES (requiring approximately $200).

I know some schools have their own internal applications systems for SPH applicants (e.g Berkeley), while others (e,g Rutgers) only accept applications through SOPHAS. And there comes the fees for SOPHAS ($135 for the first school and $50 for every additional applications). :-( 

So, come September, which one would be the best option to pursue? A SOPHAS application or a direct application to the schools? Is SOPHAS really worth it, considering I am applying to a PhD? Would applying to individual schools be a better option?

Any advice immensely appreciated :-)

• 5 months later...

Hey there, 

Sorry I'm just seeing it now.  I'm having real bad sticker shock too at how much it costs to send GRE scores, transcripts, and applications.  Typically there are application fees even for schools that use their own application system.  Berkeley has also joined SOPHAS this year.  It's definitely worth it just to do SOPHAS if you want those schools. In some ways it's even easier as your recommenders just have to send a letter to one place that serves as many schools as you designate, rather than having them write several and send to all different schools.

I'm also applying to PhD in epi this year and have a mix of SOPHAS and non-SOPHAS... which SUCKS.

Anyway, good luck! Feel free to chat me if you have any more questions!