Can you get into a MS program without a CS undergraduate degree

kawhi

Hi, Folks

As a social science graduate (Poli Sci), I haven't taken any CS classes or Calculus courses, although I had a big data class where I was taught some basic R and Python.

I want to know if there are MS programs accepts students who do not have any CS background (well, I haven't taken any Calculus courses yet...but planning to take some Math and CS class this summer).

Do I need to get letters from CS professors? (well, I know this sounds dumb...But really, I don't know the answer)

Do I need CS research experience to get into a MS program?

My goal is to work as Software Engineer or Information Security Analyst

GPA:3.78.

GRE: V153 M163 W 4.0

some unrelated work and undergraduate experience

Many thanks to folks who can answer these questions

Edited by kawhi

It depends on the school. Some allow students who have little or no CS experience to complete fundamental courses before they can start on their masters coursework.

Generally though, for students who don't have an undergraduate degree in CS, the requirements are that you have completed the requisite core coursework and have demonstrated proficiency in CS. For core coursework, this is usually an introductory programming course or two, a data structures course, an algorithms course, a systems programming/operating systems course, a software engineering course, a year of calculus, an introductory statistics/probability theory course, and a discrete mathematics course.

That said, I know that at some universities they allow students who are deficient any of the core coursework to take those classes before being granted full status as a masters student.

For LORs, it doesn't necessarily matter what field the letter writer works in so long as they can speak to your academic and research ability within the context of CS. However, it would be much better for your letters to come from CS professors provided they're familiar with you beyond the classroom. If you can't find those types of writers, it is much better to have someone who knows you well write you a LOR than someone who only knew you within the context of the classroom (those types of LORs are called DWICs, Did Well In Class and don't really say much as to who the student really is as a computer scientist).

Research experience is not that crucial for a masters program, but it does help a lot to have some experience. Doesn't necessarily have to be CS research just so long as you're familiar with how academic research is conducted. Again, that said, much better to have CS related research experience.

Here's my advice if you really want to pursue a MS in CS degree. I would take a few semesters to knock out the core coursework and if able to, get on a faculty member's current research project whether this is simply running the experiments and gathering data versus writing the experiments yourself, paid versus volunteer work doesn't matter.

If your goal is to become a software engineer or information security analyst, there is really no need to take anymore classes than you need to and you don't need an undergraduate degree in CS. You can teach yourself the things required to be a successful software engineer or information security analyst. Teaching yourself the basic concepts and principles of information security is actually not a very hard task. The issue is demonstrating you have the requisite knowledge and this comes from either having various security related certifications or a degree in a related field like IT, MIS, or CS. The easiest route to take is to get the certifications. I would look at the CompTIA Security+, (ISC)2 SSCP, ECIH, and GCIH certifications. Study material for each is readily available.

Hope this helps.

On 4/21/2017 at 10:15 PM, underscore_frosty said:

It depends on the school. Some allow students who have little or no CS experience to complete fundamental courses before they can start on their masters coursework.

Generally though, for students who don't have an undergraduate degree in CS, the requirements are that you have completed the requisite core coursework and have demonstrated proficiency in CS. For core coursework, this is usually an introductory programming course or two, a data structures course, an algorithms course, a systems programming/operating systems course, a software engineering course, a year of calculus, an introductory statistics/probability theory course, and a discrete mathematics course.

That said, I know that at some universities they allow students who are deficient any of the core coursework to take those classes before being granted full status as a masters student.

For LORs, it doesn't necessarily matter what field the letter writer works in so long as they can speak to your academic and research ability within the context of CS. However, it would be much better for your letters to come from CS professors provided they're familiar with you beyond the classroom. If you can't find those types of writers, it is much better to have someone who knows you well write you a LOR than someone who only knew you within the context of the classroom (those types of LORs are called DWICs, Did Well In Class and don't really say much as to who the student really is as a computer scientist).

Research experience is not that crucial for a masters program, but it does help a lot to have some experience. Doesn't necessarily have to be CS research just so long as you're familiar with how academic research is conducted. Again, that said, much better to have CS related research experience.

Here's my advice if you really want to pursue a MS in CS degree. I would take a few semesters to knock out the core coursework and if able to, get on a faculty member's current research project whether this is simply running the experiments and gathering data versus writing the experiments yourself, paid versus volunteer work doesn't matter.

If your goal is to become a software engineer or information security analyst, there is really no need to take anymore classes than you need to and you don't need an undergraduate degree in CS. You can teach yourself the things required to be a successful software engineer or information security analyst. Teaching yourself the basic concepts and principles of information security is actually not a very hard task. The issue is demonstrating you have the requisite knowledge and this comes from either having various security related certifications or a degree in a related field like IT, MIS, or CS. The easiest route to take is to get the certifications. I would look at the CompTIA Security+, (ISC)2 SSCP, ECIH, and GCIH certifications. Study material for each is readily available.

Hope this helps.

really appreciate your suggestions. 

very likely, I will follow this path -----"I would take a few semesters to knock out the core coursework and if able to, get on a faculty member's current research project " 

I applied to the following schools that have Master's in CS for students that don't have a undergrad degree is CS or were liberal arts majors: NYU, UP, U of Chicago, Northeastern, Brandeis, RPI, & RIT. Steven's of Institute has a Master's in Software Engineering that requires no background. 

On 4/29/2017 at 0:16 PM, musicman240 said:

I applied to the following schools that have Master's in CS for students that don't have a undergrad degree is CS or were liberal arts majors: NYU, UP, U of Chicago, Northeastern, Brandeis, RPI, & RIT. Steven's of Institute has a Master's in Software Engineering that requires no background. 

tyty. I will check them out! 

• 3 months later...

To add in, Simon Fraser (SFU) CS Masters accepts exceptional cases without an Bachelor in CS. Btw, Canadian universities seem to be flooded with quality applicants after the US Travel Ban, so the competition is rather stiff for now.