Transfering schools multiple times

DreamingBig

Hey everyone!

I hope to eventually receive my PhD in psychology, however I have transferred undergraduate institutions 3 times. I did the first half of my first year at one school, then I transferred to another school for the remainder of my first year and my entire second year, and then after that I transferred back to the school I originally attended for my final two years. I have good grades (GPA ~ 3.88), and the only difference is that at one school my grades were shown in percentage form (e.g., 90%) and at the other school my grades are only shown in letter form (e.g., A+)... My question is: will having transferred schools so many times effect my chances of getting in somewhere?

Thanks everyone :)

A lot of students transfer credits in from multiple universities during undergrad, for a lit of different reasons. As long as you were at the final school long enough to work in a lab and establish a good relationship with three profs who can write you LORs it shouldn't be an issue; assuming you have not been put on academic probation or been asked to leave a university.

Depending on the reason for transferring away and then back, you may want to talk about it for a brief statement in your statement of purpose. I would not do this if it's overly personal or something... (big red flag, at least in clinical programs, is too much self disclosure in applications). Prima facie, It probably isn't an issue. I'm not faculty, though. 

It was honestly just because I made a poor decision in deciding to stay at my hometown university, so I transferred, but when I was offered a large scholarship to go back to the other university I figured saving money was worth it :) 

No, it shouldn't. I attended three schools in the last 10 years and still got in as a PhD applicant. I did 7 interviews as part of the application process and they never ever brought up the number of schools I've attended. Good luck!

I applied with two undergrad schools under my belt, no problems or questions asked. As long as you have an answered prepared for why you transferred back and forth and make sure to submit both transcripts, you should be fine!

Yeah, I agree with what others have said here: if you are otherwise qualified, they probably won't consider it much. They might ask you at an interview to explain your reasoning, but that would just be to clarify that you weren't transferring for unsavory reasons, as @Clinapp2017 suggested. If you're concerned they might be thinking about it, you could weave it into your personal statement, or some schools' applications will have dedicated separate sections that allow you to explain such unusual factors in your application.