Advice/tips for finding a place to live!

brenbren12

Sorry if this isn't the right place to post this! So I'm moving next month (yay!) but I'm having a really hard time finding a place to live. I'm working with a low budget in a somewhat expensive town unfortunately. It seems like every ad I find on craigslist is spam ugh! Does anyone have advice on how to find a place to live? I've moved a bunch but have never had this problem! I've signed up for roommate matching services, checked out grad school housing (too expensive), emailed pretty much every craigslist ad I could and have reached out to my friends in that city. I am so overwhelmed by all of this. And unfortunately I won't be able to visit any places in person since the move is so soon. 

Thanks! 

I would ask the DGS if you can be added to the grad student listserve for the department and then send an email there about looking for housing. Current students will likely have a good sense of what's affordable, what's open, etc.

Hey Bren!

I've been there. Finding a place to live can be really stressful. If you have a friend in the area, I'd suggest having them visit any possible places and video chatting with you so you can get a feel for it without being there. It can also be helpful to join Facebook groups for certain areas. There are groups like, "Brooklyn Apartment Rentals" or "Apartments for Rent in Los Angeles." They exist for tons of areas (not just major cities) and are legit.

My biggest suggestion is to make a list of everything the apartment needs in order for you to be happy. Everything from a dishwasher to a window in the bedroom to a bathtub. Don't rush into living in an apartment that you aren't comfortable in. For me, having a bathtub was essential. Especially while in school, baths are the way I relax. So make sure that's on the list if you want to be able to unwind after class!