Genetic Counseling Fall 2018 Applicants

GeneDawg

Hi! I know its early. But considering the success of Fall 2017 forum, I thought we should start Fall 2018 discussion thread early! Good luck preparing for your applications!

Edited by rising_star
fixed typo in title

I feel the same way!! I am trying to stay positive and brainstorm for ways to improve myself!! I think I have a few ideas, but right now need to practice self care!

Hey all! I am an applicant from India and I'm so glad that you've started this forum. Well, I had applied last year and interviewed with USF but unfortunately got waitlisted. So this time I'm planning to prepare early on and it would be really helpful to get a perspective from my fellow GC applicants! 

@mithila.belekar, welcome! I really all hope we have better luck next year. The new match system is making me nervous - I hope it's really to our benefit.

To all of you second year applicants, I wonder how letters of recommendation work. Do we get new ones? Extra ones? Can we ask the schools to forward our precious ones onto our new applications? I guess when we reach out for constructive criticism we can ask some of these questions...  

I just can't believe we all need to go through this grueling process again. 

Was in contact with the cancer GC I know and she's actively working to get my shadowing set up! (It's through a very setup hospital so there's been lots of hoops to jump through before I've been able to onboard and shadow/volunteer with her) but hopefully everything gets finalized soon and I can start seeing cases!

Edited by AspiringGC

31 minutes ago, Elisheva said:

@mithila.belekar, welcome! I really all hope we have better luck next year. The new match system is making me nervous - I hope it's really to our benefit.

To all of you second year applicants, I wonder how letters of recommendation work. Do we get new ones? Extra ones? Can we ask the schools to forward our precious ones onto our new applications? I guess when we reach out for constructive criticism we can ask some of these questions...  

I'm for sure asking my old boss and the GC who I consider my mentor/who is the new program director at Arizona for a letter again, since they wrote me a letter this cycle. And hopefully once I get this shadowing set up, I can ask the cancer GC. Then I'll have 2 GC letters of rec! 

Edited by AspiringGC

45 minutes ago, Elisheva said:

When I reapplied I had my recommendation letter writers resubmit my letters.  From my experience, schools said it's okay to use the same recommendation letter writers but they advise they write a new or updated letter.  One of the things some programs said when I applied was that I should strengthen my recommendation letters and have them focus more on genetic counseling.  I sent my writers the recommendations that schools had told me about my letters when I asked them to write for me again.  I was very careful with how I phrased everything in order to not seem offensive and let them know that what they wrote was ultimately up to them.  I was a little paranoid when it came to my letters and actually submitted 5 letters to every school that allowed it instead of the 3 I had submitted last year.  I asked another professor and the nurse practitioner involved in my advocacy experience.  I did this because I figured if a couple weren't good then at least there were 3 others to make up for it.  I also didn't want to be stressed out again if my writers didn't submit in time.  Honestly, it was probably unnecessary, but it doesn't hurt.  

I asked a couple schools about whether I needed to start an entirely new application and they said yes.  

Thank you for the info @Ellaie! How many schools did you apply to last year and how many interviews did you get vs. this year? I know you got accepted at USF, (congrats!) were you accepted elsewhere? Also, I know this will be different for everyone but what was the area you improved on most that you believe ultimately got you a spot? Also, how does the personal statement work the second time around? Do you mend it, or write an entirely new one? 

Thanks! I hope I'm not being to nosy ?

7 hours ago, AspiringGC said:

I'm for sure asking my old boss and the GC who I consider my mentor/who is the new program director at Arizona for a letter again, since they wrote me a letter this cycle. And hopefully once I get this shadowing set up, I can ask the cancer GC. Then I'll have 2 GC letters of rec! 

That's awesome!! Do you know if the AZ program is opening up this fall?  Do you have any information on it?

Hi guys! I am excited to say that I will be applying for the Fall 2018 cycle alongside you all! Although I am lacking in experience, I want to try applying anyways and see what my chances are! I've been lurking around the Fall 2017 forum and it has provided me with a lot of insight. I admire everyone's resilience. Let's all support one another for this coming cycle :) 

A little bit about me:

4th year Honours Biology student at University of Waterloo (Canada) with cGPA 3.3 (still have a year left of school)

GRE: will write end of this August (currently studying, was wondering if you guys have any study guides you recommend? currently using Manhattan Prep and Kaplan)

Volunteer: 3 years undergraduate research experience (mostly in plant and bacterial genetics)-worked in industry, academic and government settings, currently volunteering at a distressline and women's advocacy (pro life human rights organization), hopefully have a genetic counseling shadowing opportunity lined up for me in the Fall although I am being waitlsted

I don't think my experience and grades are that amazing compared to a lot of student BIOs I have read, but after seeing the resilience of all the applicants, I am determined to at least try, I don't see any other career path for me other than genetic counseling and I am excited to share my application experience with you all ! :) 

@Joey0817I am in the same boat! I am in third year of college. I do not yet have shadowing experience and I will start advocacy at crisis helpline from next month. I don't feel like I have high chances, but I want to try anyway. 

9 hours ago, mithila.belekar said:

Hey all! I am an applicant from India and I'm so glad that you've started this forum. Well, I had applied last year and interviewed with USF but unfortunately got waitlisted. So this time I'm planning to prepare early on and it would be really helpful to get a perspective from my fellow GC applicants! 

@mithila.belekar Hi! I am originally from India as well. Good luck for this admission cycle :) 

2 hours ago, kds27 said:

That's awesome!! Do you know if the AZ program is opening up this fall?  Do you have any information on it?

Yes! So the information I have is from February when I last met with my mentor. At that time she had submitted their letter of intent and just had to send in the actual application. Our Board of Regents formally approved the program in March I believe? So we are still on track for opening Fall 2018. Last I heard, they want to take 5 students the first year and then 5 the next and then re-evaluate and see if they can accommodate a larger class the following years. I do not have specifics on rotations, though there may be a chance that some rotations are in Phoenix since it's a larger city (without a GC program), that has a huge network of genetic counselors and Tucson has around 3 that actually see patients still.

I will be meeting up with her again beginning of summer and can ask for more information then!

This prompted me to go look at the accredited programs page and there's two more programs that have submitted since I last checked! KGI School of Pharmacy in CA (near Los Angeles) and MGH Institute of Health Professions in MA! While not getting in sucked and our chances decrease as more people become aware of genetic counseling, there are TONS of programs that are in the process of opening which gives us more potential seats to fill :)

8 minutes ago, AspiringGC said:

Yes! So the information I have is from February when I last met with my mentor. At that time she had submitted their letter of intent and just had to send in the actual application. Our Board of Regents formally approved the program in March I believe? So we are still on track for opening Fall 2018. Last I heard, they want to take 5 students the first year and then 5 the next and then re-evaluate and see if they can accommodate a larger class the following years. I do not have specifics on rotations, though there may be a chance that some rotations are in Phoenix since it's a larger city (without a GC program), that has a huge network of genetic counselors and Tucson has around 3 that actually see patients still.

I will be meeting up with her again beginning of summer and can ask for more information then!

This prompted me to go look at the accredited programs page and there's two more programs that have submitted since I last checked! KGI School of Pharmacy in CA (near Los Angeles) and MGH Institute of Health Professions in MA! While not getting in sucked and our chances decrease as more people become aware of genetic counseling, there are TONS of programs that are in the process of opening which gives us more potential seats to fill :)

Great!!  Thank you for sharing.  Omg 5 people? AHHH.  

Okay well I have heard about KGI!  I actually live 5 minutes away from the campus.  I grew up in Claremont, so if anyone has any questions about the area or school let me know!!  I will be meeting with an admissions committee member next week to see if there is any information about the program available to the public yet.   They are expected to enroll students in the 2018-2019 year.  So, I believe they will be starting applications soon. :)

1 hour ago, Joey0817 said:

Hi guys! I am excited to say that I will be applying for the Fall 2018 cycle alongside you all! Although I am lacking in experience, I want to try applying anyways and see what my chances are! I've been lurking around the Fall 2017 forum and it has provided me with a lot of insight. I admire everyone's resilience. Let's all support one another for this coming cycle :) 

A little bit about me:

4th year Honours Biology student at University of Waterloo (Canada) with cGPA 3.3 (still have a year left of school)

GRE: will write end of this August (currently studying, was wondering if you guys have any study guides you recommend? currently using Manhattan Prep and Kaplan)

Volunteer: 3 years undergraduate research experience (mostly in plant and bacterial genetics)-worked in industry, academic and government settings, currently volunteering at a distressline and women's advocacy (pro life human rights organization), hopefully have a genetic counseling shadowing opportunity lined up for me in the Fall although I am being waitlsted

I don't think my experience and grades are that amazing compared to a lot of student BIOs I have read, but after seeing the resilience of all the applicants, I am determined to at least try, I don't see any other career path for me other than genetic counseling and I am excited to share my application experience with you all ! :) 

I think your experience is great!  Program directors really are interested in applicants having advocacy experience, so if you can get more, I think that would be good as well.

My advice to you is to reach out to various GCs for an in person or phone interview.  I was able to interview with about 5 GCS, and that led me to my shadowing experience.  Even though it may just an interview, it was so helpful and gave me insight into the career and their experiences with the field.  

For the GRE, I recommend Magoosh resources and their GRE app!  

I think the one nice thing about having to wait another year is that I can be more selective about schools (to a point). 
Is anyone else changing where they are applying this next year? I think my (incomplete) list so far is as follows: UCI, CSUStan, Utah, UTHealth, Arizona, KGI School of Pharmacy, and Augustana. So 7 programs still but some slight changes. I applied to 8 programs this year: UCI, Stanford, CSUStan, UTHealth, Utah, Augustana, Oklahoma, and Colorado. I really want to be close to Arizona, which is why i changed my mind on a few schools/based on my interactions with them this cycle. 

@kds27 I am a bit interested in how a GC program is going to set up at a Pharmacy school! How are they going to make it autonomous, but still welcoming from GC students? 

22 minutes ago, AspiringGC said:

@kds27 I am a bit interested in how a GC program is going to set up at a Pharmacy school! How are they going to make it autonomous, but still welcoming from GC students? 

I am wondering the same thing!!

From what I have heard, they are going to implement drug development/response topics into their curriculum, but still have regular clinical rotations in peds, prenatal, and cancer!  I found an article where they talk about their goals for the program.  I will try to find it and send it to you!  I think pharmacogenetics is super interesting.  I haven't heard of genetic counselors who have practiced in this specific field, but who knows. I am sure they are out there!

Edited by kds27

7 minutes ago, kds27 said:

From what I have heard, they are going to implement drug development/response topics into their curriculum, but still have regular clinical rotations in peds, prenatal, and cancer!  I found an article where they talk about their goals for the program.  I will try to find it and send it to you!  I think pharmacogenetics is super interesting.  I haven't heard of genetic counselors who have practiced in this specific field, but who knows. I am sure they are out there!

I think I just found it or at least one similar. They're expecting a class size of 24! That's crazy

Here's the link if anyone else is interested: http://www.kgi.edu/news-and-events/amgen-gift-to-fund-launch-of-new-kgi-human-genetics-and-genetic-counseling-degree-program

Hi guys! I'm here to help. I understand the ups and downs of the application process and though (luckily) I got in the first round, I know that it is very difficult to have to redo the application program.

I personally know the directors of the KGI program (actually they are discussing their rotations ideas right next to me right now) and I want to let you guys know that they are amazing amazing people with a great outlook on how the program is going to be and how to cater to their student's education. They can be opinionated in some ways, but it all makes sense for the greater good of education, rotations, students, etc. I'm sure you guys will looooove them.

As for GRE prep. I used the kaplan book primarily, and the Ready4GRE app. I strongly recommend this app. I don't think it's free anymore and I know you might not take a phone app seriously. But I worked on it while I was commuting and by the end of the app, it's surprising how much I've learned without actually knowing I'm learning that much. It kinda passively trickles in during my commute. No intense memorizing or anything, just practice practice practice with that app.

Hi everyone!

I'll be applying for Fall 2018 cycle as well! I'm very excited to share this journey with everyone :) 

About me:

I graduated December 2016 with a BS in Psychology. My GPA was a 3.4. I'm taking the GRE this June. I've been involved in multiple research labs mainly in Psychology. I am currently working as a Medical Assistant in a Internal Medicine office. I also volunteer at my local hospital's Cancer Genetics department. My advocacy work includes hospice and crisis line. I have shadowed and interviewed several GC's from pediatrics to cancer genetics and prenatal. I am very interested in eliminating health disparities for minorities involving Genetic services and so I am very excited to start volunteering with the Healthy Asian American Project!

Edited by LM1994

20 minutes ago, kds27 said:

Hey guys! Sorry, I'm lurking around here to see if I could be of any help - but I have a master's degree in pharmacogenetics! so I was discussing with all of the programs about ways to add pharmacogenetics into the curriculum! I'm so excited to know that I'm not the only one with this idea!!

Hello again everyone! Looks like I'm a second year applicant. I'm not gonna lie, I'm still really bummed, and thinking about going through the whole process again is a little overwhelming but just trying to stay positive and get ready to work on improving! I'm super excited to hear about the KGI program. I'm really interested in pharmacogenetics!