Genetic Counseling Fall 2018 Applicants

GeneDawg

I just helped sort of set up, or at least get in motion, a volunteer position with genetic counselors at the cancer center through my university. It took a while (asked back in fall 2016 time) and am just starting in September (could've started July but my job interfered). But I'm so excited it's finally happening. I'll be shadowing/ volunteering 4 hours weekly starting September 11th. It'll include a lot of GC Assistant tasks, such as pedigrees, getting family history, calling and making appointments etc. but I will get to sit in on applintments and such too. So I'll have close to 60 direct hours of shadowing by the time most applications are due and around 100 by interviews ?

Anyway the point of that was to def reach out and see if a GC would be interested in ongoing commitment of shadowing/volunteering and maybe help with pre-appointment stuff like I will be. I am planning on having one of the GCs write a letter of rec.

I re-reached out to the four programs I haven't heard from and already got responses back from two and set up times to talk/gave me a timeframe for when they'll email me back. (Augustana and UTHealth if anyone's wondering). 

Started the draft of my personal statement yesterday too.

I also, was able to find a long term interning position at a hospital close to where I live. Obviously it depends on where you live and the access to a hospital with genetic counselors. I was lucky enough to be able to find the information to contact the GC which can be tricky at times. From there I had to go through volunteer resources to be able to work at the hospital. I found at the hospital I'm volunteering/interning at does not do shadowing so you have to commit as a volunteer to sneak into a intern position in the Genetics department. @AspiringGC the tasks I have done so far are very similar to what you will be doing, the pedigrees alone are a great experience. 

Edited by JN212

@JN212 that's really good to hear that you think the other tasks are helpful ? I'm hoping it looks favorable on my application this cycle. I didn't have any shadowing experience last cycle. I had just met with a couple genetic counselors and many schools recommended I get more experience, so this will help drastically.

1 hour ago, AspiringGC said:

@JN212 that's really good to hear that you think the other tasks are helpful ? I'm hoping it looks favorable on my application this cycle. I didn't have any shadowing experience last cycle. I had just met with a couple genetic counselors and many schools recommended I get more experience, so this will help drastically.

I think it definitely should help with applications this cycle. One of the schools I spoke to regarding feedback said that with a long term position like this they don't even look at whether you shadowed recently or not. Its also a great way to get to at least one recommendation. 

Is anyone applying to Virginia Commonwealth University with the intention of trying to get into the dual degree program (M.S-Genetic Counseling/Ph.D-Human Genetics)? I know there has to be two separate applications then acceptance into the program but I am also wondering how it works with the new match system...Probably not much use thinking about it until the match portal opens up but just wanted to throw it out there!

14 minutes ago, lilmaz said:

Is anyone applying to Virginia Commonwealth University with the intention of trying to get into the dual degree program (M.S-Genetic Counseling/Ph.D-Human Genetics)? I know there has to be two separate applications then acceptance into the program but I am also wondering how it works with the new match system...Probably not much use thinking about it until the match portal opens up but just wanted to throw it out there!

I'm not applying there, but I remember this question or a similar one has come up. Take Augustana for example, you can spend your second year in San Diego or in South Dakota. So for the matching process, the school enters how many spots there are for each option. When ranking you'd have to option to put either Augustana 2nd year San Diego or Augustana second year SD, and could rank your preferred option over the other. And then the match does its thing and you'll get matched with one of the two options if I recall correctly. So you'd know exactly where you'd be spending your second year upon notification of being matched.

I'd assume it'd be the same for Virgin, maybe there's 2 spots for the PhD option but 6 for just GC. You will probably get to rank both the PhD option and the GC masters only option. Definitely a good question to ask the school though, maybe they already know! 

Hi everyone, 

I am new to this forum and so far have found all this GC info very helpful! I plan on applying to a couple of GC schools this year. Looking at a lot of the accepted student profiles it seems everyone had research experience. For those who applied & got rejected, would you say not having research experience was something schools commented on or rejected you for? I have a 3.5 GPA, over 8000 hours of advocacy and disability experience, shadowed 3 GC's but have no research experience so I am wondering if I should get some this semester. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks! 

Edited by GCLois

8 hours ago, GCLois said:

Hi everyone, 

I am new to this forum and so far have found all this GC info very helpful! I plan on applying to a couple of GC schools this year. Looking at a lot of the accepted student profiles it seems everyone had research experience. For those who applied & got rejected, would you say not having research experience was something schools commented on or rejected you for? I have a 3.5 GPA, over 8000 hours of advocacy and disability experience, shadowed 3 GC's but have no research experience so I am wondering if I should get some this semester. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks! 

Lol no you're fine. I haven't been told to get research experience. Just advocacy/more GC experience is the main focus. The laboratory side of GC is still up and coming so it's not something schools expect or even look for, but doesn't hurt especially if it is research in genetics or related.

Based on what you told me, I'd expect to you get at least one interview if not more this cycle. But that's just off of numbers, they look at so many other things.  

Hi everyone, 

I'm new here and I was just hoping to get a little advice on applications!

I graduated from a 5 year BS/MS combined program in 2017, with a 3.45 undergrad GPA and a 3.75 grad GPA, majoring in Biochemistry-Molecular Biology for both degrees. I have pretty good GRE scores, 99% percentile for Verbal ad. I did 2 years of research studying Alzheimer's in a biochemistry/molecular biology lab, and have recently begun doing clinical research on cancer clinical trials in a CLIA certified lab. I'm also learning how to score pathology samples, and will be a pathology scribe. During undergrad, I worked 4 years in the athletic training clinic, eventually working my way up to Health and Safety Officer. I also was a TA for molecular genetics for three quarters, and teach GRE classes for Kaplan at night.

The real weakness in my application is my advocacy experience and shadowing. I have been volunteering with Crisis Text Line for several months, and I also have some volunteering with disabled children in the area (not too much, a few days here and there). I have not shadowed at all yet, though I have been through the genetic counseling process myself. I guess I am wondering if I even have a shot at making it this year, or if I should try and get some more experience before applying next year. It's pretty tricky for me to find time to shadow because I work full time, the same hours my (only) local GC works, and I think I should save my time off for interview season. I also don't speak Spanish, which is a requirement for crisis centers near me. 

I'm considering taking a few classes at night this semester--I am in an Alcohol and Drug Counseling course, Anatomy/Physiology, and Positive Psychology. Realistically, I probably need to drop at least one course. Does anyone have an opinion on if these classes are even worth taking? Would they boost my app at all?

Thanks for taking the time to read that whole thing, I look forward to getting to know all of you better throughout this process! 

Does anyone have any books they really like concerning genetics/genetic counseling?

I know I really enjoyed The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks and just finished reading Spelling Love With an X

3 hours ago, KCGC said:

Does anyone have any books they really like concerning genetics/genetic counseling?

I know I really enjoyed The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks and just finished reading Spelling Love With an X

I recently read and really enjoyed The Gene by Siddhartha Mukherjee, and I enjoyed Alex: The Life of a Child by Frank Deford a lot (it was actually the book that got me interested in genetics when I was a kid).

6 hours ago, hurricanehayley said:

Hi everyone, 

I graduated from a 5 year BS/MS combined program in 2017, with a 3.45 undergrad GPA and a 3.75 grad GPA, majoring in Biochemistry-Molecular Biology for both degrees. I have pretty good GRE scores, 99% percentile for Verbal ad. I did 2 years of research studying Alzheimer's in a biochemistry/molecular biology lab, and have recently begun doing clinical research on cancer clinical trials in a CLIA certified lab. I'm also learning how to score pathology samples, and will be a pathology scribe. During undergrad, I worked 4 years in the athletic training clinic, eventually working my way up to Health and Safety Officer. I also was a TA for molecular genetics for three quarters, and teach GRE classes for Kaplan at night.

The real weakness in my application is my advocacy experience and shadowing. I have been volunteering with Crisis Text Line for several months, and I also have some volunteering with disabled children in the area (not too much, a few days here and there). I have not shadowed at all yet, though I have been through the genetic counseling process myself. I guess I am wondering if I even have a shot at making it this year, or if I should try and get some more experience before applying next year. It's pretty tricky for me to find time to shadow because I work full time, the same hours my (only) local GC works, and I think I should save my time off for interview season. I also don't speak Spanish, which is a requirement for crisis centers near me. 

I'm considering taking a few classes at night this semester--I am in an Alcohol and Drug Counseling course, Anatomy/Physiology, and Positive Psychology. Realistically, I probably need to drop at least one course. Does anyone have an opinion on if these classes are even worth taking? Would they boost my app at all?

Thanks for taking the time to read that whole thing, I look forward to getting to know all of you better throughout this process! 

I think the only class that might even be worth taking would be Anatomy/Phsiology. And even then I wouldn't recommend to, considering your GPA. I don't believe A/P is required by any programs and only recommended by a few. My GPA is only a 3.39 with a couple Cs in some prereq science classes. No program director has strongly pushed me towards retaking any besides Biochem and I was strongly discouraged on taking classes that I thought would "look good", such as grad level psych classes. They have recommended embryology, medical terminology, bioethics, and other genetic-related courses. Only take more science classes if your science GPA is low AND you can get an A in them, otherwise it doesn't matter.

I have the same struggle with needing to save time off for interview season. But I would suggest at least one day of shadowing, even though you've been through the process. It's different than being in the patients spot. Yes, that will be a huge plus for you in the future, to know how your patients feel. But getting to see the behind the scenes/prep aspect of the process is hugely beneficial. You can supplement your lack of shadowing by talking about your own experience going through the process though! 

Keep up your Crisis Text advocacy and try your best to keep volunteering with the disabled children. Overall, I think you'd have a shot this cycle. 

5 hours ago, KCGC said:

My mentor suggested both "Middlesex" and  "The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down". I've only read excerpts but they both sound super good! 

17 hours ago, hurricanehayley said:

Hi everyone, 

I was told by the Canadian programs that shadowing experience is one of the most important aspects of the application.  If you can take 1 or 2 days of vacation from your work in order to shadow, I think it'll do wonders for your application.  Everything else looks great.  If you're missing the psychology prerequisites, then either of those courses look great, but I don't think you need to take both.  The most important part of the advocacy experience is that it came with a training portion (so that you learn the counseling skills they teach like empathy and active listening), and that you stick with it to show commitment.  Even if you can't get your shadowing experience this year, still apply, because the rest of your application looks really strong.

@KCGC@freckledgenes@AspiringGC Thanks for all of the book recommendations! I really enjoyed Inside the O'Briens, by Lisa Genova.  She's the same author that wrote Still Alice.

On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 2:28 PM, hurricanehayley said:

Hi everyone, 

@hurricanehayley It sounds like you have a solid application on the GPA/GRE/research side of your application. As for advocacy, I don't think you have a real weakness there. You have been with CTL for several months, and you also have to remember that schools won't be reading your application until December at the earliest, so you will have 4-5 more months on top of what you already have! I've only been with CTL for a month, but by the time they read my application I will have ~6 months of it under my belt, and I think that is a decent chunk of time. What they really want to see is that you went through training that taught you how to counsel.

Like TAGC said, the shadowing is a HUGE part of the application. More so than even research/GRE/grades I would say. In my undergrad I helped start the pre-genetic counseling club, which had a different genetic counselor come talk to us every month among other things we did. But even with that, a common criticism of my application last year was that I didn't have enough actual shadowing experience (only one day). I've seen on more than one application that asks you to check yes or no if you've shadowed anyone, and one application even asked to list names of the GC's shadowed. The fact that you've been through the genetic counseling process, however, could definitely make up for lack of shadowing. If you do decide to apply this year, I would really talk up that experience.

6 hours ago, trp111 said:

Anyone have any insider updates on new programs? I haven't been able to find much on Columbia or MGH so I'm wondering if they will possibly be taking applications this cycle or not. 

MGH does not plan to take applications until next fall. Columbia was unsure last time I communicated with them.

Hey guys!  I'm new to this forum and it has been awesome to see that I am not the only one who knows what a genetic counselor is!  I was just wondering what a good number of schools to apply to would be?  I am a very nervous person and want to apply to a lot because I feel like I would have a better chance of getting an interview because all of you guys have such wonderful resumes!  I will graduate May 2018 but am taking a gap year just to kinda relax from school before starting a challenging masters program.  I really want to find work as a GC assistant so if anyone has any tips on that I would love it!  Also, I went to a genetic counseling seminar at Rutgers this past summer and it really got me interested in pediatrics.  I know that all programs require you to take rotations in peds, prenatal and cancer but does anyone know if certain programs are more well known for peds than others?  Any information you guys have I would love!!

1 hour ago, jebbahay7 said:

Hey guys!  I'm new to this forum and it has been awesome to see that I am not the only one who knows what a genetic counselor is!  I was just wondering what a good number of schools to apply to would be?  I am a very nervous person and want to apply to a lot because I feel like I would have a better chance of getting an interview because all of you guys have such wonderful resumes!  I will graduate May 2018 but am taking a gap year just to kinda relax from school before starting a challenging masters program.  I really want to find work as a GC assistant so if anyone has any tips on that I would love it!  Also, I went to a genetic counseling seminar at Rutgers this past summer and it really got me interested in pediatrics.  I know that all programs require you to take rotations in peds, prenatal and cancer but does anyone know if certain programs are more well known for peds than others?  Any information you guys have I would love!!

I believe I remember from a GC Career Day that I attended at Utah, 6 is typically a good number. If you are a stronger candidate, 4 would probably be fine. After 6 schools, there doesn't seem to be a correlational to improving your chances to get in. That didn't stop me from applying to 8 last year and I am applying to 8 this year as well. 

As for Peds, I know UCI and Cincinnati are both located out of peds departments or work closely with the children's hospital. I believe Denver also has a strong peds program. Oklahoma and UW-Madison are based out of the peds department as well I believe.

----

Unrelated note, several applications open up tomorrow and on the 5th we can register for the match :D How exciting and nerve-wracking!

Edited by AspiringGC

12 hours ago, jebbahay7 said:

I read on one of the program's websites that 6 is a good number as well.  I only applied within Canada last year (because I hadn't written the GRE) which has 4 schools.  Out of 4 schools I interviewed at 2.  This year I'm planning on adding 4 American schools to my list, just because I'm a little anxious about getting in this year.

Here's a brochure with some helpful information and tips on applying to programs.  It's a little out of date, as it says there are only 30 accredited programs, but I believe there are over 40 now.  This map shows all of the ABGC accredited programs with some information about class sizes and tuition (though the information might not be 100% accurate).

I haven't heard anything about certain programs more well-known for pediatrics, but I have noticed that quite a few programs are run out of Children's Hospitals.  For example, Toronto runs their program out of Sick Kids and UBC runs their program out of BC Children's Hospital.  All of the programs have rotations to other sites, but if the main office is located in a Children's Hospital then you might get more exposure than you would otherwise.

3 hours ago, kds27 said:

hey everyone!  Has anyone heard anything new about Arizona's GC program? Will their application open this fall?

I'm meeting with the director on the 25th of this month. I'll get more info then! But, I keep getting told information will be up on their website by "the end of summer" and anticipate hearing back about accrediation in Spring 2018. If so, they will have classes start Fall 2018. 

So when it comes to letters of rec... I volunteer with CTL but they only do letters of rec for people who have been volunteering for a minimum of a year (which I will not have reached by the time apps are due)... What am I supposed to do for the apps that really push having a LOR from your advocacy place??

On 9/1/2017 at 8:57 PM, Nefelibata said:

So when it comes to letters of rec... I volunteer with CTL but they only do letters of rec for people who have been volunteering for a minimum of a year (which I will not have reached by the time apps are due)... What am I supposed to do for the apps that really push having a LOR from your advocacy place??

My thought would be to reach out to the program contact and explain the situation. Perhaps they have a suggested alternative!

Has anyone tried opening an account and application for Wisconsin? I created an account and tried to open a new application and it said registration was currently closed. According to their website they said applications would be available Sept. 1st. Has anyone had issues or did I screw something up?