Welcome to the GradCafe

Hello!  Welcome to The GradCafe Forums.You're welcome to look around the forums and view posts.  However, like most online communities you must register before you can create your own posts.  This is a simple, free process that requires minimal information. Benefits of membership:

• Participate in discussions
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Removes some advertisements (including this one!)
GeneDawg

Genetic Counseling Fall 2018 Applicants

134 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Nefelibata said:

@hb_94 There are a combination of factors that determine if that grade will hinder you or not. Is that your only C? If it is and you have A's in all the other "important" classes then it might not matter so much. But that also varies per program. I had two programs straight up tell me that they require a B or better in biochem (and their other pre-req courses).

Are you able to say which programs?? I have all A's but a C in organic Chem 2 so this may change my application strategy. Thanks! 

4 hours ago, Marie764 said:

Are you able to say which programs?? I have all A's but a C in organic Chem 2 so this may change my application strategy. Thanks!

@Marie764 Minnesota and Wisconsin. A lot of programs don't list Ochem as one of their pre-reqs, and I've rarely seen Ochem2 listed at all so I think you would be okay applying anywhere without worrying about it.

Does anyone know how much UC Irivne's program costs? They don't have a lot of info on their website.

5 minutes ago, Nefelibata said:

Does anyone know how much UC Irivne's program costs? They don't have a lot of info on their website.

I found it here: http://www.reg.uci.edu/fees/2016-2017/genetic.html

Looks like it's about $26,000/year for residents and $39,000/year for non-residents, but I don't know if you have to pay the spring tuition in the second year.

Finally got my grades back for my last semester. Ended with a 4.0 for the semester, A's in both developmental psychology and abnormal psychology as well as an A in a genetics lab class. Brings by cumulative GPA up to a 3.36 for when I apply for next cycle (3.58 for last 60 units). My major GPA is still only a 2.75 :/ 

Still, I'm pretty happy with this as my stats last cycle was a 3.29 cum, (3.4~ for last 60), and 2.66 for major.

Hopefully my upcoming grad classes will take some pressure off my major GPA.

Hey everyone!

So excited to announce we have decided to hire a second genetic counseling assistant! The start date will likely be sometime in July but the application is open now. Highly recommended for a gap year job before applying to a genetic counseling program (can't beat getting paid to be surrounded by genetic counselors). Feel free to reapply if you applied to the first opening since that one is closed now (hint: cover letter). Let me know if you have any questions!

https://utah.peopleadmin.com/postings/64573

Hey guys!  When e-mailing program directors about ways to improve for the next round of applications - what do you guys usually say?  Also, I'm looking for more counselling experience this year - I was thinking of doing something text or chat based because I move around a lot.  I've heard a lot of you guys do CTL, but I'm from Canada so unfortunately I can't volunteer with them.  I was thinking about volunteering with IMAlive, which is something similar.  Does anyone have any experience volunteering with them? 

7 hours ago, GC_AT said:

Hey guys!  When e-mailing program directors about ways to improve for the next round of applications - what do you guys usually say?  Also, I'm looking for more counselling experience this year - I was thinking of doing something text or chat based because I move around a lot.  I've heard a lot of you guys do CTL, but I'm from Canada so unfortunately I can't volunteer with them.  I was thinking about volunteering with IMAlive, which is something similar.  Does anyone have any experience volunteering with them? 

I just got really excited to see someone else from Ontario! (And with such a similar username too).  If you're from the GTA, maybe we could PM each other and potentially meet for coffee and exchange application notes.

I've been pretty straight forward in my e-mails.  If they invited me to interview then I say something along the lines of "Thank you for inviting me to interview with your genetic counseling program this year.  I am eager to start preparing for next year's application cycle, and was hoping that you would be able to provide me with feedback on this year's application and interview."  Otherwise I just say something like "I was wondering if I would be able to receive feedback for my application to the MSc Genetic Counseling program."