Hi I'm looking at applying to Georgetown next year in the Poli Sci department, my GPA is a 3.47 and i'm taking the GRE later in the year, anyone thats been accepted, with a similar GPA, please let me know what your GRE score was. Or if anyone has any advice for me. I'm kind of freaking out, i only just found out that my GPA was that low =( 

Edited by SMaes

First of all: don't freak out too much on GRE scores. Many people have been admitted even to Top10 programs with GRE scores not that great. Anything like 160 on both parts is good enough for almost everywhere. The same goes to your GPA: not stellar, but you don't need to be dragged by it.

Second: although Georgetown is definitely a good program (I applied last cycle, unsuccessfully), I think you should consider applying to other programs related to your academic interests. It's not good to have only one option.

Third and most importantly: focus on your SOP and your letters of recommendation. They are by far the best indicator you can provide and the things they will look for most of the time. Fit is important and you need to convey how good an addition you can be to a given department.

I have exactly the same GPA, and just got accepted to the Government PhD program at Georgetown. I agree 95% with the post above. SOP and recommendation letters are extremely important. GRE matters as well, but I think 160 on verbal and quant, and 5.5 (if you are American) would be enough for even top schools like Harvard. Also, be sure to submit a great writing sample. 

Edited by ArnoldNasson

• 3 months later...

Don't worry too much about the GRE. The GRE is more of a puzzle than anything else. If you spend some time trying to figure out how to play the game, you'll do well. The ETS website has a lot of free resources you can use, too. 

Best of luck!