Engineering Undergrad low GPA

superbored

Hey Guys! I am currently a Civil Engineering undergrad at Berkeley who also happens to be an international student! I'm currently finishing up my sophomore year and my Cumulative GPA is about a 3.4, with a 3.2 Technical GPA(I took one or two  "easy" non technicals that gave it a slight boost). I was initially pretty certain that I wanted to go to Grad School(engineering), but I'm honestly discouraged about my GPA severely limiting my grad school options.

Does anyone know if Upper division courses are more heavily taken into consideration by grad school admissions committees? And do they factor in where you went for undergrad? I know I this will sound whiny but Berkeley really does have a culture of grade deflation(especially for lower div courses), and I was just wondering if grad school admins have any information regarding grading policies for different schools. It just seems weird because I feel like someone with a 3.5 from a tier 1 school would (probably) be more academically successful in a grad school than someone with the same GPA from a not-as-rigorous school.

I don't know if I will be able to significantly pull up my GPA to the above 3.5 mark, because I feel like I'm maxing out already. I also plan to do research in the remaining two years,have a few cool extracurriculars and will hopefully be able to do really well on the GREs? I would also appreciate any tips for how to  get into grad school when you don't have a stellar GPA(although it seems like this forum would have plenty of posts about that already).

Also, I hope I am not coming across as arrogant in any way, just wanted some information and am low-key depressed because Cal's making me feel really stupid haha.

Thanks in advance!

• 2 weeks later...

I learned more that these engineering grad school admissions committees are made up of professor's in the department, so some (most in my opinion) will look at where your high grades are in and will want to see a upward trend (more so with Phd applicants than masters). I know this only because the aerospace professors in my school tell me (they are also very picky it seems as well on finding the right fit of a student). I got a full scholarship with a ~3.3 GPA (less rigorous school). If you have 2 years of research then you will be competitive with that GPA. My advice is to try to narrow down to your research interests and find school that do research in what your looking at doing. I think you have to balance the weight of the whole competition of getting funded in an advisor's research group with doing research in something that you would be interested in doing for how many years you would be in grad school.

• 1 month later...

If it makes you feel better, I got into a Master's program with a terribly low GPA (2.8 ish). I'm planning on doing research too during, but I just took some time after undergrad to work and figure out where my interests truly were. It's honestly not the end of the world if you don't get into a great grad school right after undergrad. Honestly, I'm glad I decided to work because I can much more comfortably afford my master's degree.