So, I will most probably be going to UIC (University of Illinois, Chicago) for my MS in CS. And keep in mind that I am an international student. So, I have some questions like:

- Is On-Campus housing good or should I look for Off-Campus?

-What about part-time jobs? The I 20 says that it would be preferable if they were related to my studies. In any case, I want to know what I can expect job-wise. As an international student, I am already taking student loans for my university fees and expect to work for my daily expenses.

-Any accommodation in near-by areas? I'd need a place to stay while looking for/moving in when I just reach there. Any places people would recommend?

-What do the professor's there expect me to know? Do they expect me to already know what 'field' they work in or for me to just come up and say 'I want to work in xyz field and I know you also work in that.' Before choosing a professor to work for, I want to at least know them in person...

- What should I bring? What 'supplies' are necessary for my first year of grad school? A general list kind of thing.

- Is there anything I have missed/ not thought about aside from the above mentioned points?

Also,

- Is anyone else here also going for UIC? Any department will do... It will be nice if I already knew someone there but my first day.

Hi CPV. Enjoy grad school. While I'm not attending UIC, I can throw in my two cents when it comes to housing based on my experience living in Pasadena when I was enrolled at the California College of Music. Where you live depends on your personal preference. I myself lean towards independent living so I've always rented an apartment off-campus. There's so much freedom, and you can always invite friends over. I found my roommate two months into my program - we started becoming friends and shared the same classes so it all worked out. Again, it's up to you. Living on-campus can expose you to more students though, so if you crave a university vibe, on-campus would be great. All the best.

Edited by jazzontherocks