Hello, 

I've been compiling things to do this summer before starting graduate school and came up with a summer reading list from tons of forum searches etc, you can find it on my blog www.rosyspeaks.com 

but I am wondering if anyone had any other good books that they can add or any advice for an incoming grad student to how to further prepare, it would be appreciated. THANKS 

Read nothing! Lol jk. Do you have a bachelor's in speech? Do you have clinic experience? How are your writing skills? I would work on those or watch videos about clinic to get more familiar with it. And just focus on being flexible and being able to adapt! 

Good luck! 

I don't know anyone that read anything speech related prior to graduate school and everyone I know is doing great!  You will have plenty of time to read articles in graduate school.  The best thing you can do to prepare is relax, enjoy your summer and go into your first semester well rested and ready to focus!  You'll more in clinic than you'll get from any book anyway! 

My best advice would be to go find a hobby that you find relaxing that will benefit you WAY more in graduate school than not taking advantage of your breaks.  Grad students live for the breaks they help us come back better rested and prepared for our next semesters and clinics!  

That being said you can read what you want but i'd highly recommend FUN things not speech stuff.  Do all the stuff you won't have time for during the semester.  Trust me you are going to be fine!!

Or if you want to stay busy work!  Having extra money during graduate school will be a much bigger stress reliever.

Good luck!  For me personally undergrad was way more stressful and time consuming than my graduate school experience!  That really does depend on your program though!

I am not sure if we need to do any reading this summer, but if you are motivated, I am reading The Brain That Changes Itself and highly recommend it! It is about neuroplasticity, a fundamental concept behind rehabilitation and development. I did not mean to read something related to my career, but am finding it very relevant.

Yeah it's been about a year or more for me since I've taken my coursework and I definitely planned on refreshing my memory over the summer. There's one girl I know in my proven right now who started last year. I'll ask her what she thinks about it and let you know what she says. 

I had a two year gap before I went back to school and I was fine not studying. I was also an SLPA, so that may have contributed to it. You will be fine. Trust me. If anything just go over ipa and see what you are taking your first semester and go over that. No point in refreshing something that you won't learn again until spring or later because it won't be fresh on your mind. 

4 hours ago, Speechster said:

I had a two year gap before I went back to school and I was fine not studying. I was also an SLPA, so that may have contributed to it. You will be fine. Trust me. If anything just go over ipa and see what you are taking your first semester and go over that. No point in refreshing something that you won't learn again until spring or later because it won't be fresh on your mind. 

Great idea! I'll do that! 

I was thinking (in all my potential free time post-grad...)

1. Learning some Spanish

2. Refreshing anatomy and phonetics and diagnostics material

3. Watching more clips on MasterClinican 

4. Potentially (long stretch here, though) volunteering again at the pediatric clinic or hospital I was at before 

5. Maybe reading some cool TBI/brain books

6. Buying some therapy materials at Lakeshore when coupons are out (I work w kiddos, so double purpose)

I'm planning on looking over the book called, "Introduction to Clinical Methods in Communication Disorders". It's been over a year since I've taken any ComD courses. 

14 hours ago, jmk said:

I was thinking (in all my potential free time post-grad...)

1. Learning some Spanish

2. Refreshing anatomy and phonetics and diagnostics material

3. Watching more clips on MasterClinican 

4. Potentially (long stretch here, though) volunteering again at the pediatric clinic or hospital I was at before 

5. Maybe reading some cool TBI/brain books

6. Buying some therapy materials at Lakeshore when coupons are out (I work w kiddos, so double purpose)

I just checked out Master Clinician. I actually don't think I've heard of it till now. What is on the site and is it worth paying for the subscription/membership? 

4 hours ago, SpeechLaedy said:

I just checked out Master Clinician. I actually don't think I've heard of it till now. What is on the site and is it worth paying for the subscription/membership? 

I think its $20 or 25 for a year. Basically, it's a bunch of therapy sessions video recorded. Mainly pediatrics focused. Some schools (like my undergrad) have students watch videos on it, and then comment, so you have a lot of input from other students RE the session in the comments spot for each video. Usually the clinicians talk about their sessions and tactics in the end of the video. I found it to be helpful! 

44 minutes ago, jmk said:

I think its $20 or 25 for a year. Basically, it's a bunch of therapy sessions video recorded. Mainly pediatrics focused. Some schools (like my undergrad) have students watch videos on it, and then comment, so you have a lot of input from other students RE the session in the comments spot for each video. Usually the clinicians talk about their sessions and tactics in the end of the video. I found it to be helpful! 

Oh nice!! Okay that sounds good. I'll see if I can find videos on YouTube first before I pay for something like that. It sounds very helpful though! Thanks for that info! 

I highly recommend reading The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down: A Hmong Child, Her American Doctors, and the Collision of Two Cultures. It is a fantastic book that follows a Hmong family and their experience with Western medicine. Although oriented toward the medical setting, I think it is fantastic in exploring multicultural issues in all related human services. I bonded with one of my SLP professors because of our love for this book lol. 

Also, there is a website called Autism Navigator and you can sign up for free to view videos regarding development and different treatment methods. It's not necessarily speech-language pathology oriented (though there are videos of SLPs included), but the videos are still interesting and useful for those interested in learning more about working with children with autism. I liked watching therapists use different intervention methods, from DTT to Floortime, and I think even the videos that do not feature an SLP demonstrate behavioral methods that are applicable to speech-language therapy. Here is the link to the free videos: http://resources.autismnavigator.com/

On 5/8/2017 at 7:51 PM, pbandj said:

Also, there is a website called Autism Navigator and you can sign up for free to view videos regarding development and different treatment methods. It's not necessarily speech-language pathology oriented (though there are videos of SLPs included), but the videos are still interesting and useful for those interested in learning more about working with children with autism. I liked watching therapists use different intervention methods, from DTT to Floortime, and I think even the videos that do not feature an SLP demonstrate behavioral methods that are applicable to speech-language therapy. Here is the link to the free videos: http://resources.autismnavigator.com/

Omg LOVE this website so far! Such a great resource! Now I'm starting to wonder what else I'm missing out there lol

14 hours ago, SpeechLaedy said:

Omg LOVE this website so far! Such a great resource! Now I'm starting to wonder what else I'm missing out there lol

Yay, I'm so glad you're enjoying it!! I've spent so much time going through that website lol it's awesome. I totally agree, there are so many resources out there we don't even know about yet! I only know about that one because the director of the autism center where I used to work recommended it to us lol. Professors/other professionals are pretty good "resources" ?

A book you guys might enjoy is NeuroTribes: The Legacy of Autism and the Future of Neurodiversity. Again, more for the people who work with people with autism but it's fantastic!!

On 5/10/2017 at 10:35 PM, SpeechLaedy said:

Also look up ABA sessions! I'm an ABA therapist and plan on definitely using some of the methods we do in my career.

6 hours ago, maurmaur said:

Also look up ABA sessions! I'm an ABA therapist and plan on definitely using some of the methods we do in my career.

I am actually in an ABA classroom so I've seen a lot of that myself already working in a special education school. Thanks though! ?

On 5/12/2017 at 3:44 PM, SpeechLaedy said:

I am actually in an ABA classroom so I've seen a lot of that myself already working in a special education school. Thanks though! ?

Haha, I know, we've discussed it! But for anyone else who hasn't, it's certainly worth watching. I quoted your post but should have just said it for everyone!

15 minutes ago, maurmaur said:

Haha, I know, we've discussed it! But for anyone else who hasn't, it's certainly worth watching. I quoted your post but should have just said it for everyone!

Oh! Hahaha! I didn't even realize it was you I had discussed it with before ? you're so right ???

wow so much good advice thanks everyone, Ive been reading mostly just for enjoyment and finding a different perspective, which it has given me. Just something to calm the nerves.