Should i decline a Fulbright?

Reel2Real

I just found out I got a Fulbright for all three years of my phd film program in Scotland! I'm so proud of this opportunity, but I also just got a promotion at my current job in a really great museum. I now get to work with films in a museum. I think i want to work in non-academic sector,/museums, so this is also a great opportunity to keep moving with my career. I think going to school would be great, but i worry about giving up my great job. I can't defer the scholarship nor can I come back to my job. I also just moved in with my girlfriend. What should i do? Thanks!! 

7 hours ago, Reel2Real said:

I think i want to work in non-academic sector,/museums, so this is also a great opportunity to keep moving with my career. I think going to school would be great, but i worry about giving up my great job. I can't defer the scholarship nor can I come back to my job. I also just moved in with my girlfriend. What should i do? Thanks!! 

You say it yourself--that you "want to work in the non-academic sector." You don't need a Ph.D. to do that. Do you already have an M.A. in film or some associated field? If you don't have one, you can pick that up either where you live or through a state university's online M.A. program if you feel that would enhance your CV. Film studies at my school is in the English Department.

Are you going to hit a point in the museum world where you'll need additional postgrad credentials to move up? If so, then you may want to think seriously about when and how you'll acquire the master's or PhD that your career goals will ultimately require. 

There is no wrong decision in this issue because you have 2 great options to choose from. So take a deep breath and relax. You've in a great position right now. Because you have 2 great short term options on the table right now, I think it's best to consider your long term goals. If you don't want to pursue an academic path, why did you apply to the PhD program in the first place? What goals were you hoping to achieve? 

Is this job opportunity a short term contract or long term/permanent? 

If it were me, I'd take the job because great jobs in the film industry are very hard to come by and you don't want to work in academia anyway. If you still want to get a PhD in 2-3 years time, you can apply to Fulbright again. With a much stronger application than your last one (due to all of the great experience you'll acquire at this new job), odds are you'll be able to get another Fulbright opportunity if you want to at another time. You might have the option of pursing a PhD part time later on and your employer might even cover part of the tuition costs. 

If you only have a bachelor's degree and were planning to do a combined master's/PhD, then I'd seriously consider doing an online master's because not having a graduate degree could hold you back in your career for future promotions. If this is your situation, I also have to commend you for getting such a job without a master's degree. It really demonstrates the high level of skill and talent that you have to get so far without the education. 

Edited by thelionking