Chemical physica/physical chem programs

uhh_hmm

I'm currently looking at schools to apply for graduate school. I'm currently majoring in chemistry and i might add a physics major (depending if i stay an extra year).

I'm currently look for various programs in physical chemistry (Cal, Washington University in St. Louis, and Penn State are some schools im interested in right now). The research i'm interested seems to lie between chemistry/physics/mat sci@chem engr [spectroscopy and nanomaterials]. I was wondering if anyone knew of any programs that blended these fields or schools that would allow me to move into concurrent areas of research when/if i am accepted. I just don't want to go to a school and say "Oh, this professor's research is so interesting! but they're in the [phys/chem eng] department and i'm in chemistry.... damn." I'm not restricting myself to just america; i'm very open to going to canada or europe or asia, although i dont speak any other languages (right now).

I know UC Irvine has a similar program called ChaMP (chemical and material physics), but I don't want to go to a school in southern cal (again). I'd normally put all of california, but all I can think of in northern cal is Berkeley and Stanford, so I'm making an exception for them due to the academic quality.

EDIT: this is also posted on the physics board

Harvard has an interdisciplinary Chemical Physics program..

Most schools aren't going to limit you to just faculty in the chemistry department.. especially if they have a sizeable physics dept..

Colorado Boulder has interdisciplinary cooperation, as does Madison.. there's quite a few, but this is just off the top of my head, besides Berk, Stanford, and MIT as you mentioned.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

As prolixity said, Harvard has a chemical physics program shared between the chemistry and physics department, and I was actually surprised at how many students took advantage of the chance to work with faculty outside their department; in some groups that I was interested in the mix of chem/phys students was up to 50/50. Stanford also makes it extremeley easy to work with faculty outside of your home department.