Stuck in the middle. Really like the clinical program for Boston, but Columbia is a huge name. Boston is a 3 year program and you can continue to work and volunteer Columbia you cannot work, the work-load is very intense. 

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I wish there was s forum where current students would chime in on there experiences. I see a lot of people posting but no actual peer to peer support thereafter. 

• 1 month later...

I am talking to a lonely board. I decided to post a response in an effort to help others, after all it is the field I am going into. Anyhow, I choose Boston...regrets? many since Columbia didn't even reply with a good luck and best of wishes. For all of those who are working on their MSW with family, there is something I learned during one of my volunteer assignments. Social Workers do not take care of themselves, get paid very little, and get dumped on with information they have to carry home. This is no different from grad school, I hope we all strive for our health, with the little time we have left to value and make decisions that fit us and our family. 

I will post my experiences every chance I get when I begin the program in fall. 

• 1 month later...

I'm an online student with Boston! I wish I saw this earlier (I literally signed up for this forum today)

Good luck! The work is challenging but rewarding in my opinion.

Self care! Self care! Self care! Learn how to say no and set boundaries for yourself. Did you plan on reading a book that night? Do it. Did you sign up for a gym class? Keep up with it. That's how social workers take care of themselves. 

On 7/18/2017 at 10:07 AM, taraw said:

I'm an online student with Boston! I wish I saw this earlier (I literally signed up for this forum today)

Self care! Self care! Self care! Learn how to say no and set boundaries for yourself. Did you plan on reading a book that night? Do it. Did you sign up for a gym class? Keep up with it. That's how social workers take care of themselves. 

@taraw I'll be applying to Boston's online MSW for 2018. :) I have a 3.0 undergrad GPA and I work in a field that has absolutely nothing to do with social work, so I'm a little concerned about the app process. Would you mind sharing your app experience? Any tips?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

@priya365 Yeah! I had a little background already and graduated with a BA in psych. That wasn't enough to qualify me for the human service or advanced track so you'd likely be in a similar structure as myself. The application was extremely easy and straight forward. I spent a good amount of time on my essay and had people from all backgrounds review it (make sure you have at least one person in the field look at it, even if they are a life coach or general advisor). 

There are tons of people in the program who are getting their masters for a career change or going in with no experience, so you'll be just fine!

I think it all depends on your financial situation. Can you afford to live in NYC and not work? I am looking at Columbia but my top choice is New York University. I didn't know that you really don't have time to work if you go to Columbia so I'll keep that in mind! I am from the Boston area (an hour south) and I love Boston. I know people who have graduated from BU and they were so upset that they had to leave. Whatever you decide, just make sure that it is the best choice for you and that it is geared towards your career goals. 

On 7/18/2017 at 7:07 AM, taraw said:

Thank you Taraw for posting. I am about to start Fall 1 and I am getting ready to begin my studies, so EXCITED! the more I think about it, I am very happy to have chose Boston. I keep hearing that although it is a part-time program, to not underestimate the workload. If you see this, could you share more on how your first semester has gone and what you would advice other students? 

Thanks again :)

@Aspiring2BinSocialWork I'm actually about to start my final year so it's been a while since my first semester :) I really enjoyed my online program because they do try hard to be as accessible as a campus program, which I love. Part-time does not mean less work necessarily, but if you are a self-starter you will learn some great time management skills. Last year, I worked a full time job that incorporated my foundation placement internship and I had classes and I rarely felt overwhelmed unless I fell behind. The professors are great for helping new students figure out their schedule too. The classes are all broken down into weekly units too so it's extremely difficult to fall behind.

Hello everyone,

I am currently a MSW student in a Canadian University. I am considering doing a PhD in the us because I think there are a lot of interesting things happening for social work right now in this country. However, I worry a little bit because English is not my first language, and I come from a low income family. I intend to apply for scholarships but wonder of that is going to be enough. Any advice?

I was also looking at Columbia and Boston.

On 8/14/2017 at 11:45 AM, Adelaide9216 said:

Should I look for a specific expert in the field I want to study or should I look at the university first?

Thanks

I'd decide by experts in my field first. If you are more concerned with location, make a list of universities you are interested in (for whatever reason) and take a look at the faculty in the social work program and see whose research aligns with your interests. 

On 8/14/2017 at 11:39 AM, Adelaide9216 said:

Hello everyone,

I am currently a MSW student in a Canadian University. I am considering doing a PhD in the us because I think there are a lot of interesting things happening for social work right now in this country. However, I worry a little bit because English is not my first language, and I come from a low income family. I intend to apply for scholarships but wonder of that is going to be enough. Any advice?

I was also looking at Columbia and Boston.

Look into social work & social welfare programs that are fully funded. From what I hear, you should not spend money on a PhD, though some people might take out loans to supplement living but not to cover tuition.