Welcome to the GradCafe

Hello!  Welcome to The GradCafe Forums.You're welcome to look around the forums and view posts.  However, like most online communities you must register before you can create your own posts.  This is a simple, free process that requires minimal information. Benefits of membership:

• Participate in discussions
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Removes some advertisements (including this one!)

2 posts in this topic

Hi, 

Has anyone applied to USC Rossier EdD program? How long did it take to get a decision? 

I am currently in the EdD program at USC. It has been the worst experience of my life. The program caters to the K-12 concentration but markets itself as a program that caters to K-12, Higher Ed, Educational Psychology, and Teacher Education. The first year, there are core courses (leadership, diversity, learning theories, and inquiry) which, again, emphasize the K-12 education system, specifically dealing with students in urban settings. Most of the professors are previous principals or teachers from a K-12 context, so all of their class discussions are about K-12. You are given some in class activities, but again, they are mostly regarding K-12. The first year, you will discuss SO MUCH about K-12 even if you are higher ed or in ed psych. There's not much support for higher ed, ed psych or teacher education during the first year. You may struggle. I would say that this program is geared towards people who want to be principals or work in admin in K-12. I want to point out that this is a program that focuses on addressing the needs of African Americans and Latinos of low socioeconomic status. So, if you are coming from a workplace in which there are predominately White and Asian students, you will struggle to relate to the reading material, assignments, and applying the concepts from the readings to your assignments because, most of the time, you write about your own school site. 

There are also a lot of adjunct professors. Some adjuncts JUST got their PhDs and wouldn't know how to teach even if their lives depended on it. Others are former principals but are now adjunct and they don't really put much effort into teaching. So, you may or may not learn much. It depends on the professor you take. The teaching is so bad that adjuncts now require mentors to help them teach. 

The tuition is ABSOLUTELY NOT worth the program or the experience of being in this program. I would suggest you LOOK ELSEWHERE. If you work in a Title 1 school (look this up if you don't know what it means) and are interested in becoming a principal IN A TITLE 1 SCHOOL, then this might be for you. But keep in mind that you really won't learn much about how to be a principal. Instead, you will have to work your ass off and befriend your professors, so that you can network and find that position you want.  This is ALL about networking and kissing ass. It's DAMN hard to try to establish a supportive relationship with your professors if you're not in K-12.

When it comes to working on your dissertation, you have to go to a dissertation conference and hopefully find a chair or chairs who you are interested in working with. You will fill out the six of the professors who you would like to work with and discuss why you think he/she would want to work with you. In the end, the program picks the professors who will be your chairs. My concentration is Higher Ed, I got stuck with chairs who are making me talk about K-12 issues. I can't tell you how unmotivated I am to write my dissertation because I don't even work in K-12 and don't know enough about it and have no interested in it. 

So, that's my experience so far.