Jobs for MPA graduates transitioning from the tech industry?

whatshewants

Hi all,

Just wondering some thoughts.

I'm a bit of an unusual candidate for an MPA & wanted to hear thoughts before I make a final decision on pursuing the degree. I have about 10+ of IT professional experience as a systems engineer who decided to go back to college at some point.  I ended up earning a BA in Political Science from a Top 10 school while I worked and progressed in my career.  I also did some volunteer work during this time period - some of which has spanned a few years at a time, and I have experience with stuff such as managing a mom-and-pop microfinance firm.  My goal, ultimately, is to transition to nonprofit or public service work & I've been reviewing job descriptions to see what is in demand while applying to MPA programs. I am also applying to MBA programs that will let me have a nonprofit management concentration.

I'm told from different people that my tech experience would be valuable as well as my volunteer work and exposure with micro-financing but I'm having a hard time seeing this with the job postings that I'm finding. My idea would be to use the time that I have in the MPA program to take advantage of career services & networking to help ease my job transition but with my recent internet searching, I'm now wondering if pursuing an MPA is a crazy idea for me.

Any feedback would be welcome.

Edited by whatshewants