2018 Applicants: What's your AOI? What programs are you looking at?

thehegeldialectic

Analytic Philosophy of Religion and Metaphysics (focus on free will & the philosophy of time) and a recently acquired interest in Epistemology 

My dream programs are of course Notre Dame, Rutgers, and NYU, but I highly doubt I'll get into any of those: the competition will probably make it nearly impossible as an undergrad...

Other programs I'll be applying to off the top of my head: Northern Illinois, UC Berkeley, Oxford, St. Andrews, UC Riverside/USC/UCSD, Princeton, U Michigan, etc.

15 hours ago, soproperlybasic said:

Analytic Philosophy of Religion and Metaphysics (focus on free will & the philosophy of time) and a recently acquired interest in Epistemology 

My dream programs are of course Notre Dame, Rutgers, and NYU, but I highly doubt I'll get into any of those: the competition will probably make it nearly impossible as an undergrad...

Other programs I'll be applying to off the top of my head: Northern Illinois, UC Berkeley, Oxford, St. Andrews, UC Riverside/USC/UCSD, Princeton, U Michigan, etc.

Depends partly on where you went to undergrad. You can also get into top programs from more obscure undergrads with very excellent applications (especially a killer writing sample helps), but it's true that many students at NYU go to somewhere like Berkeley for undergrad. 

23 hours ago, necessarily possible said:

Philosophy of language, epistemology, logic. Not sure about programs yet.

Whoa, our interests are quite similar (find mine above). I said aesthetics rather than philosophy of language mainly because I am interested in what constitutes beauty independent of medium. So give "language" an extremely broad definition, and you and I are on the same page.

31 minutes ago, Phallosopher said:

Epistemology, logic, aesthetics. Just starting to figure out which programs might work for someone with my particular background... so far I've found Georgia State and UC San Diego.

Depending on how serious you are about the 'aesthetics' (/phil. of art) portion, I think the single best program for those interests is UBC. Hands down.

You should also consider Columbia, CUNY, McGill, and NYU.

I'm interested in History of Philosophy (mainly Post-Kantian), Philosophy of Religion (Analytic & Continental), Philosophy of Mind, and Kierkegaard.

I'm applying to MA and PhD programs in Philosophy:

Baylor, Boston College, U of Kentucky, Fordham, Duquesne, Saint Louis University, Marquette

I'm also applying to a few PhD programs in Religious Studies that cater to my interests:

Yale, Syracuse, Vanderbilt, Boston University, Columbia

12 hours ago, Phallosopher said:
On 5/14/2017 at 2:38 PM, necessarily possible said:

Philosophy of language, epistemology, logic. Not sure about programs yet.

Whoa, our interests are quite similar (find mine above). I said aesthetics rather than philosophy of language mainly because I am interested in what constitutes beauty independent of medium. So give "language" an extremely broad definition, and you and I are on the same page.

Maybe me too, in a slightly different order?  I'm logic, formal epistemology, philosophy of math/philosophy of logic.

Dreaming of MIT, Harvard, CMU, CUNY, NYU, Brown, Columbia, Michigan, UConn Storrs...
Also applying to MA programs; so far I'm looking at Tufts and SFU.
What's missing (aside from programs with slightly more realistic admit rates)?

Worst comes to worst, there's a rumour that my current school doesn't take undergrads as Ph.D students, but I would likely be accepted for a one-year coterminal MA there.  Coterms are unfunded, though :( (and most attention/opportunities are given to the Ph.D students?)

Edited by évariste

Social and Political Philosophy, Philosophy of Science (in general and of the Social Sciences), Applied Ethics, and the History of Philosophy (especially from the early modern period to the present day, including both the analytic and continental traditions).

As to where I'm applying, I'll probably apply to most or all of the top terminal MAs: Tufts, UW-Milwaukee, Georgia State, Northern Illinois, Brandeis, San Francisco State, Houston, and Virginia Tech. I'm also considering the MA programs at George Washington University and Cal State LA.

I'm still undecided on PhD programs.

On 5/15/2017 at 3:38 PM, Ibycus said:

Depends partly on where you went to undergrad. You can also get into top programs from more obscure undergrads with very excellent applications (especially a killer writing sample helps), but it's true that many students at NYU go to somewhere like Berkeley for undergrad. 

I'm at a school that's well known--probably as well known as NYU, but doesn't have a PGR ranking!

I went to undergrad at an SLAC that isn't super notable in the US. I still got on the ND waitlist. (I took myself off, so no idea if it would have panned out for me.) So not all hope is gone. :)

Also, YMMV, but I've heard since ND is super popular for philosophy of religion, it's in your interest to show some love to your other interests.

Edited by Nichi

On 5/16/2017 at 6:03 AM, évariste said:

Maybe me too, in a slightly different order?  I'm logic, formal epistemology, philosophy of math/philosophy of logic.

Dreaming of MIT, Harvard, CMU, CUNY, NYU, Brown, Columbia, Michigan, UConn Storrs...
Also applying to MA programs; so far I'm looking at Tufts and SFU.
What's missing (aside from programs with slightly more realistic admit rates)?

Worst comes to worst, there's a rumour that my current school doesn't take undergrads as Ph.D students, but I would likely be accepted for a one-year coterminal MA there.  Coterms are unfunded, though :( (and most attention/opportunities are given to the Ph.D students?)

With those interests, you might check out UNC-Chapel Hill.  I think that you would be a good fit to work with people like Gillian Russell, Matt Kotzen, Luc Bovens, and Marc Lange.

On 5/30/2017 at 1:38 PM, EgyPsychologist said:

Social psychology, I/O psychology

Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan State, Purdue, Waterloo, WUSTL

Wrong part of the site, friend. :)

3 hours ago, maxhgns said:

Wrong part of the site, friend. :)

How wrong? it does feel different here lol. 

I thought this is a thread to share programs we are looking at for 2018 cycle.
I'm wondering if there are anybody out here with similar AOI or looking at similar schools.

26 minutes ago, EgyPsychologist said:

How wrong? it does feel different here lol. 

I thought this is a thread to share programs we are looking at for 2018 cycle.
I'm wondering if there are anybody out here with similar AOI or looking at similar schools.

This is the philosophy sub-forum :) Here's the psych sub-forum: http://forum.thegradcafe.com/forum/8-psychology/

Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

History of Continental Philosophy, Continental Aesthetics (especially Modernism), Philosophy of Literature, and Philosophy of Music. 

I'll be applying to MA programs only, as my BA is not in Philosophy and I've been out of school for a few years. So far I've got Miami Ohio, LSU, Georgia State, and Tufts (for laughs). After the MA... I may well abandon you philosophers and pursue Comp Lit for the PhD. Not sure.

• 1 month later...

My interests include phenomenology, ethics, environmental philosophy, critical theory, semiotics, and psychoanalysis.

It is for these reasons that I am applying to a mixed blend of Philosophy and (Comparative) Literature programs. The philosophy programs shall be limited to Duquesne, Villanova, and DePaul.