Looking for feedback on the Speech Pathology Graduate Programs at the following schools:

1) Auburn University

2) University of Georgia

3) Samford University

4) University of South Carolina

5) University of Tennessee- Knoxville

6) University of Memphis

Any information regarding thoughts towards the programs in general, program length, accreditation, town/ location, faculty support, costs, assistantship position availability, internship placement help, housing, cohorts, etc. would be greatly appreciated!

I toured the University of Memphis and absolutely loved their facilities. The professors were very approachable and welcoming, and the grad students seemed very happy to be there. Unfortunately I did not get in there, but I would have loved to go there. It seems like a really solid program, and I spoke briefly with an alumni who loved it. 

I did get into UT Knoxville but declined, partly due to cost. I spoke with an undergrad student who was going into the grad program, and she said that funding is pretty rare to get, as well as GA positions. She said the program and faculty are great, but the facilities are old and not that great. This was actually a thread on Grad Cafe, so you may be able to find it still and see exactly what she said. It is a pretty big program, so depending on your background and stats, you may have an easier time getting into UT-Knoxville over Memphis. Memphis is ranked high and a smaller program, but if you are a competitive applicant go for it! 

Good luck!

On 5/19/2017 at 8:50 PM, WannabSLP124 said:

I toured the University of Memphis and absolutely loved their facilities. The professors were very approachable and welcoming, and the grad students seemed very happy to be there. Unfortunately I did not get in there, but I would have loved to go there. It seems like a really solid program, and I spoke briefly with an alumni who loved it. 

I did get into UT Knoxville but declined, partly due to cost. I spoke with an undergrad student who was going into the grad program, and she said that funding is pretty rare to get, as well as GA positions. She said the program and faculty are great, but the facilities are old and not that great. This was actually a thread on Grad Cafe, so you may be able to find it still and see exactly what she said. It is a pretty big program, so depending on your background and stats, you may have an easier time getting into UT-Knoxville over Memphis. Memphis is ranked high and a smaller program, but if you are a competitive applicant go for it! 

Good luck!

Ah, thank you so much!! That is all super helpful! I have heard the same great things about University of Memphis- so thank you for confirming!

I had an interview at Samford University, didn't get in after the interview but that's ok! They seemsed very nice and invested in their students. They are a newer program so they are in the process of having the program accredited so its in the candidate stage. There is no on campus clinic so you get experiences right away on off campus locations from the first semester because gaining hours goes along with your classes! If you are interviewed you also get a chance to talk with current grad students and ask any questions. Seemed like a pretty decent program to me. Hope that helped!

I just graduated from UGA's undergraduate program and I loved it. I was accepted to their graduate program but have decided to go elsewhere. The program is excellent, with great professors and a dedication to quality. The program starts over the summer, I think in July, and then goes for two years.

Athens is a great college town, you will always find things to do and places to eat, and the experience I've had there cannot be compared to anything else. I will always be a dawg!

I think assistantships are hard to come by. They don't offer them frequently, but I think that if you boost your research resume and make connections with some of the professors early on, you might be able to network and work something out. They usually are offered to the best of the best applicants, people with high GPAs and decent GRE scores.

I don't think they are super helpful with clinical placements, but I don't think that is a huge issue. I would imagine everyone ends up with a placement they are happy with.

I would recommend living off campus with at least one roommate, potentially someone in the cohort. That would make your rent much more reasonable. I lived with three roommates and never paid more than $500 in rent. However, if you do get accepted to UGA, make your decision quickly so that you can find housing because it is competitive.

I think the cohorts are pretty close. Undergrad could be kind of competitive, but not in a bad way. For the most part, everyone in my classes were very genuine and kind. Everyone always would help each other so we could succeed.

When choosing which school to go to, keep your priorities in order. I was lucky that I got to accepted to the school with the best location and price. Only apply to schools that you could actually see yourself going to and being happy for the next 2+ years. Don't feel bad if you end up going to a school that isn't as highly ranked as long as you will be happy with the school and you are comfortable with the amount of debt that you will accrue. And remember that it isn't your forever home either (unless you want it to be).

Gradcafe can also be your friend and worst enemy. There are many people on here experiencing the same stress and anxiety as you which is comforting, and it relieved many of my stresses. However, we are all capable of and guilty of overthinking the process. Be prepared, remain calm, and don't procrastinate. And once you have turned in your applications, don't look at them again.

Good luck!