Master of Public Administration (MPA) with higher education focus?

PRbox

Has anyone taken this route? I'm currently applying to a Masters of Public Administration program and work in communications at a state university. I really like university environment and think I might want to stay in higher education. My university does offer a master's in student affairs, but I'm more interested in academic affairs than I am in student services (res life, Greek life, registrar, etc.).

My program doesn't have a concentration in higher ed but I could try to tailor it somewhat with electives. Any ideas?

That sounds like an interesting route to take. I would assume it would be fine as long as there were professors there that would be willing to help you utilize that focus within your classes. I guess it would greatly depend on the school and MPA program, but worth looking into. Maybe ask the program coordinator what they think about your interests.

I am currently in a similar boat. I chose to get the master's in higher ed admin (student affairs basically at my school) but will be looking for ways to get more into academic affairs side and become a prof with my Ph.D program.

On 5/19/2017 at 11:45 AM, Sandmaster said:

That sounds like an interesting route to take. I would assume it would be fine as long as there were professors there that would be willing to help you utilize that focus within your classes. I guess it would greatly depend on the school and MPA program, but worth looking into. Maybe ask the program coordinator what they think about your interests.

I am currently in a similar boat. I chose to get the master's in higher ed admin (student affairs basically at my school) but will be looking for ways to get more into academic affairs side and become a prof with my Ph.D program.

Can you tell me how you're liking the student affairs program?

My heart dropped a little today because I was told by the student affairs director that I can't do a concentration in higher ed with my MPA. They said the student affairs program is highly selective, so there wouldn't be room for me, and that the course sequence is very important and not taking all the classes in the right order would hurt my understanding of the material.

Now I'm left to decide if I want to still pursue the MPA (which I'm pretty sure I'll get accepted for) starting this fall, or if I want to drop it, apply to the student affairs program and hope to get in for the fall 2018 class. The more I think about it, the more I'm interested in higher education in comparison to just government and nonprofits.

On 5/22/2017 at 11:13 AM, PRbox said:

Can you tell me how you're liking the student affairs program?

My heart dropped a little today because I was told by the student affairs director that I can't do a concentration in higher ed with my MPA. They said the student affairs program is highly selective, so there wouldn't be room for me, and that the course sequence is very important and not taking all the classes in the right order would hurt my understanding of the material.

Now I'm left to decide if I want to still pursue the MPA (which I'm pretty sure I'll get accepted for) starting this fall, or if I want to drop it, apply to the student affairs program and hope to get in for the fall 2018 class. The more I think about it, the more I'm interested in higher education in comparison to just government and nonprofits.

I think the answer will ultimately come down to what it is you want to do with the degrees. Do you want to stop at a Master's and get a student affairs experience for a few years before going on? Do you want to just get the doctorate right after the master's and become a prof, or work within the academic affairs side? I think going down the student affairs route may be your better bet as it opens a bit more options in terms of employment within a university and at least gets you in the door. Also you could consider doing the Master's in student affairs and look for a higher education leadership or policy program at the doctoral level which gives you the policy and politics (government interaction) side of higher education.

Personally, I love my program. I find it interesting that it incorporates many different facets of the higher education systems in the world. I just took a higher education budgeting course and a governance course. I will be taking a higher education personnel course and a higher education curriculum planning course over the summer. These are very insightful! I am currently debating if I want to do the Ph.D in educational policy, or in higher education (general degree). Both would fit with my dissertation and research interests, but I get the want to incorporate policy and government into higher education. Maybe look for a policy and leadership program rather than just a student affairs program?

• 1 month later...