Master of biology/biotechnology San Jose State or CSU East Bay

alraun

I am kind of not traditional student here: have MA in economics, 7 years of Management consulting experience. Want to start program in biology/biotechnology. Due to personal reasons need to stay in SF Bay area. I got accepted to San Jose State for master of biotechnology program and to CSU East Bay for biotechnology certificate (1 year) with possibility to go into MS biology program 2nd year. So currently do not know what to choose.

SJSU program does not imply thesis, that's professional master of science with some business courses included, East Bay program is more traditional MS. My goal is to get into biotech industry (i'll list some my dream starting positions descriptions below). No intent to go into academics as i understand it's a bit late for me (i'm in my late 30s). I really lack decent research experience (only one that may count is half year undergrad research project in local community college) so traditional MS may benefit here. However SJSU is more reputable one with more ties among local biotech companies. SJSU's minus is that's more expensive and i have to pay out of pocket as i'm sort of international student so will have to transfer to F1 right now in order to get CPT next summer (SJSU program has obligatory summer internship).

Any advice appreciated on what to choose?

What i want to do is something like:

1. Research associate position: support IND filings, Mammalian tissue culture and cell biology techniques, Molecular biology and biochemistry techniques: gene editing, e.g., CRISPR/Cas9, cloning and PCR mutagenesis, nucleic acid and protein production and purification, small RNA and mRNA handling, IVT, CGE, in situ hybridization, HPLC, FPLC, western blotting, and ELISA. Requires BS, BA, or MS degree in: biochemistry, bioanalytical chemistry, virology, molecular and cell biology, biotechnology, drug development, or an equivalent life sciences field.

2. Process development in Sequencing position: Design Control for Next Generation Sequencing Diagnostic Medical Device Products, System Development projects focused on Next Generation Sequencing technologies and analysis techniques; test cases to verify hardware, software, and system performance; improvement of Design Control processes

and stuff like that.

Hi,

I am from the Bay Area (Chabot College, transfer c/o 2014) and I am familiar with both institutions. In general, it is always a wiser decision to go with the MS over a certificate, unless you know for sure that you can get a job with the certificate alone. An MS might take twice as long, but it is worth more than twice as much in terms of credibility. My ex graduated with a BS in bio from CSUEB and now works for a major pharmaceutical company in manufacturing, but I would also say that SJ State is going to have a significantly better reputation than the smaller EB. For the positions you are looking at, I would go for the PSM at SJS. While you are there, see if you can do some research work, even if it is not a thesis program, and start inquiring early about that, as well as looking for summer graduate research opportunities at other campuses, and internships in industry. You want your resume to be full by the time you re-enter the job market.

Good Luck,

Mike

Thank you Mike!

SJSU has stem cells internship and that's the research program, I am really interested in it. Unfortunately I was too late too apply for it this year but they say I may apply next spring, however that will extend the whole program from 2 to 3 years.

How long did it take to find a position after BS in EB? Some say it's difficult to get into industry even for PHDs, however i know lots of people who are not PHD and work in industry at pretty rewarding positions.

On 5/26/2017 at 3:33 PM, alraun said:

Thank you Mike!

SJSU has stem cells internship and that's the research program, I am really interested in it. Unfortunately I was too late too apply for it this year but they say I may apply next spring, however that will extend the whole program from 2 to 3 years.

How long did it take to find a position after BS in EB? Some say it's difficult to get into industry even for PHDs, however i know lots of people who are not PHD and work in industry at pretty rewarding positions.

My ex got her position after a couple of weeks as I remember. But it was good timing with the interview, and she was selected for her position due to the experience she had in the microbiology lab at Pepsi in Hayward. 

It is not that bad to get a technician or even associate scientist position out of a BS or MS program, and once you do, the initial career trajectory is not bad. You do plateau out eventually if you only have a BS. But PhD's usually are after scientist and above-level positions which are tougher since there are fewer positions around to start with. In general, it takes them a while to find a position, even with a postdoc under their belt.

Hi there! Not sure if it's too late to respond but I currently go to SJSU for my MS. Not too familiar with East Bay but I know the MBT program at SJSU is pretty well established and the internship sites in the area are pretty awesome too. Also if you're interested in the stem cell internship program, you can apply to join it after your first year in MBT (I know quite a few 2nd year MBT students who did that) although it might push your graduation a little forward depending on internship start/end dates (since the stem cell has the year-long internship)

Lab coursework wise you'll gain a lot of hands-on lab experience (more if you join the stem cell program) in molecular biology as well as immunology. I'm not too familiar with the business side of the program.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you immunobae! Glad to hear from fellow student here. I decided on SJSU and will also join stem cell set of courses this fall in order to increase my chances to get this internship next year

• 7 months later...
On 23/06/2017 at 2:39 AM, alraun said:

Thank you immunobae! Glad to hear from fellow student here. I decided on SJSU and will also join stem cell set of courses this fall in order to increase my chances to get this internship next year

Hi Alraun, 

I see that you have got accepted in the MBT program. I have applied for the program and have been selected for the interview round. 

Can you please tell me what to expect from the interview? 

Thank you

• 1 month later...
On 2/5/2018 at 6:18 AM, Andrea89 said:

Hi Alraun, 

I see that you have got accepted in the MBT program. I have applied for the program and have been selected for the interview round. 

Can you please tell me what to expect from the interview? 

Thank you

Hi Andrea89!

Interview is a standard round of questions about purpose, experience etc. There will be also test on basic understanding of molecular biology principles, some immunology, mol biol techniques. It's worth looking through your molecular biology notes to prepare.

Hey! I have got my interview for SJSU Masters in Biotechnology program/Fall 2018 tomorrow followed by an one hour multiple choice exam. Can you help me with the preparation tips? Also, I'd be using my mobile phone for the interview as my laptop has some technical issues. so will I be able to take the test on my phone? Please help. Thanks!