How much does URM factor into top schools ADMISSIONS?

manimgoindowndown

On May 26, 2017 at 10:17 AM, formerfactory said:

What is URM?

Under Represented Minority.

On May 22, 2017 at 5:36 PM, manimgoindowndown said:

I imagine unlike undergrad, for admissions it has little impact. On things like funding it would have an impact, is my intutiion correct or not?

Unlike undergrad, graduate schools admissions' (in addition to GRE scores, recommendations, and grades) place a good bit of emphasis on the individual's research history. With that said, I would argue the opposite of what you stated. If two applicants had similar stats and research history, being a URM might give one applicant an advantage in the admissions process. But I believe funding will be the same for everyone accepted into the same program, unless someone brings in an outside scholarship/ fellowship.

It does not matter as much as undergrad, yes. Can't even compare to how much it matters for med school, yes. However, it still matters to every single school whose application includes URM-or-not questions.

On 5/27/2017 at 11:23 PM, Black Beauty said:

Under Represented Minority.

Unlike undergrad, graduate schools admissions' (in addition to GRE scores, recommendations, and grades) place a good bit of emphasis on the individual's research history. With that said, I would argue the opposite of what you stated. If two applicants had similar stats and research history, being a URM might give one applicant an advantage in the admissions process. But I believe funding will be the same for everyone accepted into the same program, unless someone brings in an outside scholarship/ fellowship.

Schools actual incentives argue against this being true. 

On a general level, faculty would probably love to enroll a class that looks like a United Color of Benetton ad. But at an individual level, when it comes to each faculty member's own research group, all of this goes out the window. The students who best fits what the group needs will get the RA gig. 

On the other hand, outside organizations have broader social goals than simply advancing a narrow line of research. If there is indeed a meaningful form of affirmative action in the graduate school process (in engineering), it is likeliest to show up in the awarding of external fellowships (and maybe some internal fellowships).