Trying to decide if I retake the GRE Psych Subject Test

topsailpsych

I signed up for the GRE Psych Subject test in January when about 1/3 of the programs I was considering required the exam.  I have since removed those schools from consideration for various reasons, but still studied and took the exam because I had already paid for it.  I recently got my scores back and they were low - 35th percentile.  Before taking the exam I had requested the scores go to my top schools - because those were the only ones I was absolutely sure I was applying to (even though none of them require the exam).  So in trying to be smart, I wasn't.  Go figure. 

I'm trying to decide if this low score will hurt my application to these four schools when they don't require the exam.  If so, I'll have to study more this summer and schedule to take the exam again in September.  Although since I spent 2 months studying this time and got such a low score, I have concerns that my score may not improve significantly the next time I take it.

Other than this my application should be solid - good undergrad GPA, excellent grad GPA, excellent GRE general scores, good research and a couple of pubs under review.  Is it worth the time and money to retake?  Or am I likely fretting over nothing?

Any thoughts, experiences or input would be helpful in making my decision.  Thank you!