Hi,

I'm interested in applying this December for a PhD Clinical Psychology program for Fall 2018. I have a few questions regarding how to know what schools to apply to and determining what schools are schools I would be able to get into. My background: Behavioral Neuroscience major and computer science minor at Northeastern University graduating in May 2018, 3.5 overall GPA, 3.67 behavioral neuroscience GPA, and 3.75 Psychology GPA. I have 4 publications (first author of 2, one pertaining to autism research). I have done 2 six month coops working 40 hr/week in a Newborn Medicine Lab at Boston Children's Hospital and in a Pharmacology and Physiology Lab at The George Washington University, researching autism at both labs. I will be doing another six month coop at the Yale Early Social Cognition Lab at Yale University, doing research on with kids with autism.

I am specifically interested in autism (as seen by my background), yet at a lot of schools there aren't professors in the clinical psychology program doing autism research. I'm wondering if its absolutely necessary that I do my PhD with a professor doing autism research? Or should I only be applying to programs with professors doing autism research? Also based on my research background/gpa, how can I figure out what schools to apply to? A lot of schools don't put gpa info on their websites it seems (and I understand because its a holistic process), but how can I know where I am in the range of applying to? Thanks!

It looks like you have some excellent experience. Well done! To better answer your question, what aspect of autism are you interested in? Many autism researchers, despite having clinical psychology degrees, work in other emerging fields (e.g., Applied Behavioral Analysis [ABA]). Here's a site with programs that might fit your interests better: https://www.abainternational.org/accreditation/accredited-programs.aspx

Edited by HigherEdPsych