Question about assistantships/GA

Does anyone know if most schools tell you when you're accepted if you got a GA position/assistantship or if they wait until you accept the spot? I've been calculating cost for potential grad schools I want to apply to and it's outrageous but if I got a GA position or something it may be affordable for certain schools. I'm just curious how many schools offer/when they offer. Anyone care to share their experience?

Some send it with your acceptance and others send it after their cohort is set. We got notified 2 weeks before school started. Call/email your schools and ask them for the most accurate answer. 

This actually reminded me to email the clinical the director about when I may expect to hear back regarding my GA application. I'd definitely just email whoever is in charge of it and find out to give yourself peace of mind. 

No i think its okay as long as you just clarify and dont hound it. They have so much other stuff going on they will probably forget. I promise they dont have a running tally of stuff like that when looking at applications... Unless you email them every other day or something like that. ?

@chloslp because of out-of-state tuition, I knew it was crucial for me to get a TA position/assistantship (in state benefits & stipend). I emailed the professors I wanted to work with and why, therefore when they were making decisions about assistantship, my name either stands out or the professor already confirmed and can bring it up to the admissions committee that he/she wants me as an assistant. Fast forward, I got my position and stipend along with my acceptance letter. Hope that helps! Good luck.

How do other GA benefits work? The one I applied for apparently only pays $10.50/hr and that's it ? I was under the impression that GAs paid for part of your tuition 

8 hours ago, SpeechLaedy said:

How do other GA benefits work? The one I applied for apparently only pays $10.50/hr and that's it ? I was under the impression that GAs paid for part of your tuition 

I think it can go either way. Sometimes, GA positions pay for tuition but other times it just works in the same way as a part time job, which is kind of a bummer but better than nothing. At University of Cincinnati where I go to school, I know people who have both but they consider the one who only receives an hourly rate more of just a student worker.

HI Chloslp

I think many schools do it differently. At mine they sent out acceptances, then a week later they sent out GA offers. They don't have applications in my slp dept, because they decide based off of your graduate application. The award includes reduced tuition and a weekly stipend. Hourly, I'll be paid less than a graduate student worker who does not receive a tuition reduction. I don't think it hurts to inquire about possible opportunities. If that department has nothing left they may direct you to where you can find more positions.

• 2 weeks later...

I never applied for a GA. I was back and forth between a state school and a private school, and I expressed to the private school I was leaning towards the state school because it was MUCH less expensive. That same day I received an email offering me the GA ship. It covers 12 credits, and an $8000 stipend. Hope this helps!