How do I contact professors?

Earnest

I am planning to apply to several universities(M.A and PH.D) this fall. Including Chicago University(Ryan Coyne), Boston College(Vanessa Parks), Oxford University(Joel Rasmussen), University of Leeds(Mark Wynn) and Yale University(Noreen Khawaya).

Since this is my first time, I would like to know how to contact professors. Do I have to send a wirting sample? How long does it have to be? And what should I wirte in e-mail to give a good impression? 

Edited by Haeyeon Han

Actually, I am taking summer classes in Boston College this summer. I think it would be wonderful for me to meet professor Vanessa Parks there. However, I have no idea how should I write an e-mail to ask her to see me. And, I am a bit worried because I am not sure what sould I saw if I meet her in person..^^;;

Any good Ideas? Thanks for reading my post. 

It's quite easy, actually. Just send a brief email introducing yourself and explaining the purpose of contacting them. So, for example, just send something along the lines of: "My name is HH and I'm finishing up my BA in philosophy at HomeU. I'm interested in applying to PhD programs to work on Topic T, and I was thinking of applying to TargetU. I was wondering whether you might have the time to answer a few questions about the program at TU." For Boston, explain that you'll be taking some summer classes there from T1-Tn, and ask whether Dr. Parks might be available sometime for a quick chat about whatever you want to chat about.

Just keep it short and simple and don't deluge anyone with questions or a writing sample or anything like that in your first email. Leave it up to them to invite further contributions from you.