Opinions wanted

2ndgenpsych

Hi everyone! I currently think I have a very small chance of getting into a doctoral program. My mom is a Ph. D clinical psychologist and feels strongly that I have a chance of getting in but honestly I'm not sure, and I'm trying to self sooth by creating a game plan if I don't get in for the Fall 2017 round. My ultimate goal is to be a licensed psychologist. So whether it be Ph D clinical or counseling or Psy D in clinical, I don't really care much as long as it provides the training I need and I can explore some of my clinical interests (specifically autism and also anxiety and depression in children with ASD)

-3.45 projected cumulative GPA. 3.2 psych GPA (I know, I cringe when I see it too)

- 2 years of research experience in a lab examining hormones/behavior/personality. 

-Was hired in the above lab as a Recruitment Coordinator for our new NIH funded study

-research assistant in a lab examining stress & pregnancy (6 months currently)

-2.5 years of experience in Applied Behavior Analysis as a registered behavior technician with clients aged 2-11 with autism spectrum disorders

- I'm actually taking my GRE next week, I plan to score at least a 150 in Q, and I'm currently scoring 160 on V practice tests. I really wish the scores could be higher but at this point I might have to retake it at a later date. 

-6 months experience as a crisis counselor on a crisis hotline

My mom is still very involved at her alma mater for her Ph. D and knows many of the faculty. I plan to apply there but I still don't think I'll get in despite the connections. 
I plan on applying to mostly Psy Ds in clinical because I think I have a better shot of making it into one of those. Also going to apply to some Behavior Analysis schools as a back up. Maybe some masters programs. 

Since I'm not an expert on adcoms I can't say if your stats are good enough to get in or not.  I will say that it is smart to have a backup plan regardless because Clinical Psych is competitive for everyone.  I'm not familiar with ABA schools, but applying to a few Master's programs is a very good idea because if that ends up being your best or only option then you can improve your gpa and gain more research experience.  The biggest challenge with going the Master's route is that many programs are unfunded so you'll have to strongly consider your finances and future projections before making that move.  

Don't be afraid to use whatever connections you have, because as @MarineBluePsy said, doctorate Clinical Psychology programs are very competitive to get admitted into. As for myself, working with a well-respected Clinical Psychology professor who was willing to help me with applications opened more opportunities for me. Specific research areas, such as Chronic Pain or ASD, are tight-knight scientific communities where many professors know each other. 

If you can get at least a 150+ on the Quantitative and Qualitative section each on the GRE, plus at least a 4.0 on the Analytic Writing section, I think you should be a competitive applicant considering your research experience. Programs like Yale or UCLA are nearly-impossible long shots for most applicants (these programs receive like 500+ applications a year), but there are plenty of other high-quality doctorate programs that receive less attention that would be worthwhile looking into.

I would agree with everything being said here EXCEPT that a 150 Q is an acceptable score, because it is not. You will see that the average successful candidate at mid-range to great Ph.D. Clinical Psych program scores about a 315 - 320 combined. 150 Q is 39th percentile. You don't have to be stellar at math... I certainly am not. However, I was able to get a 158 Q and (along with my other credentials) I was admitted to my top choice schools which is arguably one of the strongest programs in the country. 

Study hard for the GRE. It's a gatekeeper test that is crucial to getting your app considered seriously (connections or not). 

Best of luck!

19 hours ago, Clinapp2017 said:

I would agree with everything being said here EXCEPT that a 150 Q is an acceptable score, because it is not. You will see that the average successful candidate at mid-range to great Ph.D. Clinical Psych program scores about a 315 - 320 combined. 150 Q is 39th percentile. You don't have to be stellar at math... I certainly am not. However, I was able to get a 158 Q and (along with my other credentials) I was admitted to my top choice schools which is arguably one of the strongest programs in the country. 

Study hard for the GRE. It's a gatekeeper test that is crucial to getting your app considered seriously (connections or not). 

Best of luck!

I had a 151 Q, 156 V, and a 4.5 on AW, and I was able to get in my program of choice with full funding for all 5 years including tuition and $22K yearly stipends from assistantship. My program isn't at an Ivy League or somewhere like UCLA, but it's a well-respected program with solid training. When applying for doctorate Clinical Psychology programs, my research advisor in a Clinical Psychology lab at the time said that my GRE stats were good enough 

Granted, standardized exams aren't my strength and I was able to offset this weakness with my Calculus I, II, and III courses I did well in as an undergrad. 

On 5/31/2017 at 11:08 AM, JoePianist said:

I had a 151 Q, 156 V, and a 4.5 on AW, and I was able to get in my program of choice with full funding for all 5 years including tuition and $22K yearly stipends from assistantship. My program isn't at an Ivy League or somewhere like UCLA, but it's a well-respected program with solid training. When applying for doctorate Clinical Psychology programs, my research advisor in a Clinical Psychology lab at the time said that my GRE stats were good enough 

Granted, standardized exams aren't my strength and I was able to offset this weakness with my Calculus I, II, and III courses I did well in as an undergrad. 

Mind telling which school/program did you get in?

My GRE score is Q:161, V:151 AWA:3.5

I'm trying to compensate my scores with other aspects of my profile but i would certainly apply to a school that doesn't put so much emphasis on GRE score to at least secure a spot somewhere :/

16 hours ago, EgyPsychologist said:

Mind telling which school/program did you get in?

My GRE score is Q:161, V:151 AWA:3.5

I'm trying to compensate my scores with other aspects of my profile but i would certainly apply to a school that doesn't put so much emphasis on GRE score to at least secure a spot somewhere :/

I'll PM you the program I'm attending!

I think your stats look fine, but, as said, the GRE will really help or hurt your application. I'd also focus on the personal statement and ensure it's relevant to each advisor/school. Lastly, I'd say don't sell yourself short. It might help to worry less about which schools you think will accept you and focus on making sure you're applying to schools with good fit. I had some cringe worthy stats but I found that research/interest fit gave me a leg up. Why spend a ton of money to apply to schools you may not be excited about (or may leave you in a ton of debt) and spend the next 5 years unsatisfied. I saw people with lower stats get interviews and get it. Just focus on your apps and the interview. You may surprise yourself ?

• 3 weeks later...