Got a D on my MSc thesis

Reluctant

I got a D on my thesis in Computer Science. How important is grades in this field? I have never worked as a developer before and now I need to apply for relevant jobs. Will I have a hard time because of my bad grade on my thesis?

Any experiences?

16 hours ago, Reluctant said:

I got a D on my thesis in Computer Science. How important is grades in this field? I have never worked as a developer before and now I need to apply for relevant jobs. Will I have a hard time because of my bad grade on my thesis?

I'm sorry you are having such an issue. Are you able to graduate--my M.A. program requires a minimum B in all classes? I'm an English M.A. and just wrote a thesis this semester before graduating. Did you talk to your thesis advisor about this and whether you could take another semester and fix it? Do you know the issues with your thesis? Is it superficial, such as the writing, or core to the whole topic and your ideas? Thesis work is difficult. It requires maintaining a close connection with your advisor, with them reading chapters as they are written. If you're neither an academic writer nor a creative writer, it becomes more difficult to put the whole thing together, but with work and perhaps some suggestions, you could get it together. If it's a matter of concept and theory being undeveloped, your advisor may be able to make suggestions. You didn't fail your thesis, so I'm gathering there was no plagiarism. Again, I'm so sorry.

yes i graduated. Now theres no return. Id have to write a new thesis. It was a quiet advanced topic and I was clearly not ready for it. But I have learned alot hence the grade. I've learned a lot with respect to programming and academic writing. I thin my literature review was my failing point. 

No idea about the folkways of your field, but you don't normally find people publicizing their masters' grades unless they got some kind of honors or prize-- or if they're applying for more grad school.  

Can you firm up your faculty relationships for any references needed?  Did the rest of the program go OK?

• 2 months later...

No an expert in your field, but I don't think the grade matters as much. What's important are who are your references for your applications? If you are using Professors at your school as references, then your grade may have left a negative impact on them, and that may influence how useful they can be as a reference. Otherwise, I've only seen companies ask for GPA's at the most, not letter specific grades.