NSF GRFP 2008

cogdiss

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah, i'm kind of sad too. i think the NSF is retarded to let people 'hack' (ps, that's not really a hack, if the info is sitting on the server, without any kind of protection) what they have probably been sitting on for a week. i hope someone on their side is following this and sees that the awards got leaked. heck, we should email them.

just confirming that the awardees list is legit, my name is on there

For those who got the award, have you ever published anything yet when you were undergrad?

i am an extreme case. i had 2 coauthor papers in high school and 1 first author paper in college...

like i said, extreme. i know several people on the list who didn't have any publications in ugrad.

if it adds more credibility..

my names on that list, I've got 2 conference papers (one first author, and one 2nd second) and 1 IEEE journal paper (1st author).. and just got Hertz too.. don't hit me :mrgreen:

congrats to everyone else!

just confirming that the awardees list is legit, my name is on there

i am an extreme case. i had 2 coauthor papers in high school and 1 first author paper in college...

like i said, extreme. i know several people on the list who didn't have any publications in ugrad.

I am one of those without publications.

Where are people getting the honorable mention list?

I was HM last year and this is the last year I can apply. Unfortunately, right after I applied, I found out I have two publications in review/in press. Bah... You can be at the top of your field without one, yes? Someone please agree with me!

Where are people getting the honorable mention list?

I was HM last year and this is the last year I can apply. Unfortunately, right after I applied, I found out I have two publications in review/in press. Bah... You can be at the top of your field without one, yes? Someone please agree with me!

of course. My PI (MD/PhD UCSD, harvard postdoc) hadn't even heard of the NSF GRFP before this year when I applied.

Dude, it's kind of random. I had five publications listed when I applied as an undergrad (two first-author), and about sixteen this year (second-year grad) counting the non-refereed conference papers. I'm serious, and I'm not bragging: I got an outright rejection from NSF last time around and an HM this time. So having boatloads of publications isn't what it takes - it seems to be something more intangible than that. ("broader impacts" and "intellectual merit" seems to be the mantra they keep repeating)

Although I am curious - my grades were good but not outstanding, solid B+ average at a tough school, and my subject GREs were so abysmal, I didn't even submit them this time around, which was probably my downfall. Do the people who are getting these basically have all perfect #s? That might be part of it...

I think it is fruitless to search for any real rhyme or reason to who wins and why. There's no one thing that will get you in. I made HM this year, with no publications outside of conferences, mediocre GREs (1300), near perfect subject test scores, and a perfect gpa.