A little worried...

jaaaayciee

So I'm taking the GRE June 3rd and I've taken a couple practice exams. On the Princeton Review, I got a 151Q 150V, with a 4.5 for analytical writing. When I took the ETS practice test, I got a 153Q 148V. I'm not sure why Verbal is dropping, but I am starting to get worried. My number one school is Indiana University - Bloomington, and their requirements are at least a 600 in one section (which I'm sure I will get on the quantitative), but I am concerned my test scores won't be enough. I've maintained a 3.7 throughout my time in undergrad, joined an honor society and another student organization, and I'm hoping to get very good LORs. Will the test results screw me over?

What you should do is look to see who has been accepted to that current school currently and in the past, and if they list testing scores or results. I have done this and found a wide range of results. I have been worrying about my current scores and I got a Q145, V 151, Essay 4.0 (I suck really bad at math). I saw that people with lower scores than me were being accepted, and some with higher scores and great GPAs being rejected. You're essay score is GREAT btw, as most schools require minimum of 3.5. Remember that it doesn't come down to just numbers. They will look at all components to your application. Focus on presenting to them why you'd be great for their school, and show a little confidence. You got this!

On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 2:02 PM, jaaaayciee said:

So I'm taking the GRE June 3rd and I've taken a couple practice exams. On the Princeton Review, I got a 151Q 150V, with a 4.5 for analytical writing. When I took the ETS practice test, I got a 153Q 148V. I'm not sure why Verbal is dropping, but I am starting to get worried. My number one school is Indiana University - Bloomington, and their requirements are at least a 600 in one section (which I'm sure I will get on the quantitative), but I am concerned my test scores won't be enough. I've maintained a 3.7 throughout my time in undergrad, joined an honor society and another student organization, and I'm hoping to get very good LORs. Will the test results screw me over?

It's now after June 3, so I hope you are pleasantly surprised with your GRE scores. Looking at applicants and acceptances will give you an idea of what programs are looking for in the way of scores. You should simply make sure that you have the best LORs, WS and SOP that you can provide. It's still a crap shoot. Even with everything as perfect as you can make it, the unknown is still the reviewing committee and what they have decided they are looking for in a particular year. I ended up about 50/50 in my season with 2 admits, 2 waitlists and 5 rejections. I had a considerably higher GPA and GRE scores than any of the minimum scores requested by programs and also had multiple professors go over my WS & SOP. If your GRE scores are not what you expect, you have time to retake the test before applications are due. I used Magoosh and I believe over the course of the 6 months I practiced with it, my practice tests grew from a 156 to a 160 in Verbals and I scored a 163V on the actual GRE, so it is very good in upping your scores. English departments don't pay much attention to math scores, and my math score was certainly nothing to write home about. Good luck this upcoming season.

On 6/5/2017 at 7:42 AM, Mlaurin216 said:

What you should do is look to see who has been accepted to that current school currently and in the past, and if they list testing scores or results. I have done this and found a wide range of results.

Thank you for the advice!! I actually think this is a great idea. I never thought of it before -- I've looked at like the school requirements and majority of schools say the general "we consider everything at once" which really isn't helpful at all. I understand all components are considered equally but it certainly does not help my worries hahaha.

On 6/5/2017 at 8:19 AM, cowgirlsdontcry said:

It's now after June 3, so I hope you are pleasantly surprised with your GRE scores. Looking at applicants and acceptances will give you an idea of what programs are looking for in the way of scores. You should simply make sure that you have the best LORs, WS and SOP that you can provide. It's still a crap shoot. Even with everything as perfect as you can make it, the unknown is still the reviewing committee and what they have decided they are looking for in a particular year. I ended up about 50/50 in my season with 2 admits, 2 waitlists and 5 rejections. I had a considerably higher GPA and GRE scores than any of the minimum scores requested by programs and also had multiple professors go over my WS & SOP. If your GRE scores are not what you expect, you have time to retake the test before applications are due. I used Magoosh and I believe over the course of the 6 months I practiced with it, my practice tests grew from a 156 to a 160 in Verbals and I scored a 163V on the actual GRE, so it is very good in upping your scores. English departments don't pay much attention to math scores, and my math score was certainly nothing to write home about. Good luck this upcoming season.

I ended up getting a 151V and 155Q, and my writing hasn't been graded just yet (though i've been checking literally every single day). Because i plan on applying this Fall, I'm probably going to start working on my personal statement soon. Another small issue is that I haven't written any papers in any of my classes that reach the 10 page mark. Most hit around 9, but I don't think any have hit 10, so I hope that most schools don't really view quantity over quality.

9 hours ago, jaaaayciee said:

I ended up getting a 151V and 155Q, and my writing hasn't been graded just yet (though i've been checking literally every single day). Because i plan on applying this Fall, I'm probably going to start working on my personal statement soon. Another small issue is that I haven't written any papers in any of my classes that reach the 10 page mark. Most hit around 9, but I don't think any have hit 10, so I hope that most schools don't really view quantity over quality.

Have you looked at any programs yet, and what they want in the way of a WS or if they have GRE requirements? English programs usually give a 5-page range in paper size--something like 15-20 pages. My MA thesis adviser said most of her papers in PhD classes were in the 25 page length requirement. Several of the chapters in my thesis were that length, so I know I can write them. You need to take a paper that you like and start revising and working on it after you look at program requirements for papers. Talk to your professors--some of them may have really good ideas about expanding. This summer is not too soon because you will be busy in the fall and expanding a paper that you felt was complete at the time is more taxing than you can imagine. We humanities people are very possessive over our papers, but get over it. Save a copy and start with other things you know. READ, READ, READ outside books, sources to get a better handle on your topic. If you have a primary book source, read it again. You may gain new insight. Good luck!

I wouldn't stress too much over your GRE scores. If you want to take it again, focus more heavily on the verbal section. That is the portion that people in the humanities care about the most. 

Your GRE scores are definitely not the first thing the adcom will look for in your application materials. Your SOP is by far the most important part, so I would instead focus on strengthening that as much as you can. Quality>quantity. A longer SOP doesn't mean a better SOP, and the same goes for the writing sample. I got into my top-choice program with a statement that was under 500 words. Be very specific about what you hope to focus on in your graduate research, why that research matters, and how your goals can best be achieved in the program to which you are applying. 

I don't think any part of your grad school applications will require you to share how long your previous papers have been. Most of the time there is a limit to how many pages you include in your writing sample as well, so I strongly doubt that any school will require some sort of 20 page example of your work. If you don't mind me asking, is your undergraduate major in history? I only ask because in any history/art history classes I took in undergrad we had to write some lengthy papers, most with something like a 10-15 page minimum, so it surprises me you haven't had the opportunity to write something longer. If you're still in school and taking history courses, could you maybe honors option a course or extend one of your projects so you can write something longer? Again, I don't think it will be important in your applications, but if you have the chance to gain some advanced writing experience to better prepare you for the more intensive writing you'll do in grad school, it might be useful! 

1 hour ago, hantoo said:

If you don't mind me asking, is your undergraduate major in history? I only ask because in any history/art history classes I took in undergrad we had to write some lengthy papers, most with something like a 10-15 page minimum, so it surprises me you haven't had the opportunity to write something longer. If you're still in school and taking history courses, could you maybe honors option a course or extend one of your projects so you can write something longer? Again, I don't think it will be important in your applications, but if you have the chance to gain some advanced writing experience to better prepare you for the more intensive writing you'll do in grad school, it might be useful! 

So my major is secondary education, but I have a concentration in social studies, hence why I've taken many history/political science classes. I'm graduating this upcoming Fall, but I'm only going to be student teaching, so I won't be on college campus at all. So that's why I'm kind of at the end of my rope as far as different assignments go. I'm really proud of a lot of assignments I have had to write, but like I said, I think most of them are around 9 pages usually.

Humanities require longer papers. Because you're coming from another field into history, I would guess they will really want to see your writing skills. I looked at the History department for my PhD school and this is what their website has about writing samples. You should check each school's program. "There are no minimum or maximum page requirement for writing samples. However, a strong writing sample will showcase your skills as a potential graduate student in History and should therefore reflect your experience working with both primary sources and secondary scholarship. Typical writing samples range between 15 and 30 pages." The SOPs I saw on my applications went from a minimum of 500 words to a maximum of 800 words. Less than two pages, single-spaced. Hantoo is correct about Humanities caring more about verbal scores than quantitative.

2 hours ago, cowgirlsdontcry said:

Humanities require longer papers. Because you're coming from another field into history, I would guess they will really want to see your writing skills. I looked at the History department for my PhD school and this is what their website has about writing samples. You should check each school's program. "There are no minimum or maximum page requirement for writing samples. However, a strong writing sample will showcase your skills as a potential graduate student in History and should therefore reflect your experience working with both primary sources and secondary scholarship. Typical writing samples range between 15 and 30 pages." The SOPs I saw on my applications went from a minimum of 500 words to a maximum of 800 words. Less than two pages, single-spaced. Hantoo is correct about Humanities caring more about verbal scores than quantitative.

I've tried looking at numerous schools but majority of schools don't have really any page range for their Master's programs, which is why I'm in a little bit of a bundle. So then if most of my writing papers have been around the 10-page mark, should I just expand it on my own and hope for the best?

Talk to your professors--some of them may have really good ideas about expanding. This summer is not too soon because you will be busy in the fall and expanding a paper that you felt was complete at the time is more taxing than you can imagine. We humanities people are very possessive over our papers, but get over it. Save a copy and start with other things you know. READ, READ, READ outside books, sources to get a better handle on your topic. If you have a primary book source, read it again. You may gain new insight. You will want to ask several professors (probably those you get LORs from) to read your WS and your SOP and make suggestions. .

There's a lot you can do to make it the best it can be. Fifteen pages isn't that much to shoot for if you have ten.