Jobs and relevant experience

speechfan222

I will be starting a Masters program in Sociology this fall and have a Bachelors degree in another field. I also dont have any experience in the field. I have been looking at data analysis and data research positions just to see what is required and to learn more about job requirements. Most jobs that require an MA degree also require experience in the field. If I dont have my MA degree yet, how can I even get experience to prepare me for a job opportunity once I have my degree? I want to work on experience now but it doesnt seem like I can gain experience without having an MA degree in the field. It feels like Im going in a big circle and Im new to this field. How can I gain experience needed?  Please help!! 

Can somebody please give me suggestions on this? I contacted an advisor from the university where I will be starting an online program this Fall. She informed me that students can apply for positions while their Masters degree is in progress, but I found a few positions this morning that require a few years experience.

Does anyone know how I can obtain ANY experience without having experience or a Masters degree?!?!?

Are you primarily hoping to get a job as a data analyst or data researcher? If so, I don't see a Sociology master's as the best entry point to those jobs. You'd probably be better off looking at data science or information master's programs. For a relatively unskilled applicant, the best way to get experience is to apply for internships or to find opportunities through your university (e.g. as a work-study or as a research assistant). You might also consider the field(s) that you would like to eventually work in. If you're hoping to enter the non-profit world, for example, you might look into working, interning, or volunteering with a local org to show that you have experience in the field, more generally speaking.

Ahhh. This information definitely helps. Thanks! 

I would be interested in working as a data analyst or data researcher, yeah. I found a few job openings for data analysts that require a Masters degree in Sociology or Statistics. Since an MA in Sociology applies to several types of jobs, I figured it would work for data analysis positions as well. 

I'm going to be 'attending' an online program, so I don't have access to opportunities through the university. I spoke with an advisor within the program and she said although most positions list a Masters degree as a requirement, they would hire students who are currently completing their Masters degree. I would be interested in these positions as well, but I noticed that most of them require 1-3 years experience. I don't have any experience in the field. Although I'm in the process of obtaining my degree, I'm afraid to apply for jobs without relevant experience. But I also think gaining experience now while completing my degree will become a benefit later when I apply for positions once i have my degree. 

I'm mostly having a hard time determining how to obtain the relevant experience I need. I'm trying to find other options so I can hopefully gain employment now (something relating to Sociology) and have it help me out later. 

Ahhhhhhhh. :o/

• 2 months later...

Most data analysis positions require statistics or science degrees. They may also accept a masters with scientific specialty in the area that position is under. For instance, a public health data analysis might also accept a public health masters. But that public health data analysis job will definitely accept statistics degrees.

As for relevant experience... Some data analysis jobs will accept a bachelors. Those jobs almost exclusively require the bachelors in computer science, math and stats. I see that all the time in the human services sector. Otherwise, I would follow others advice and look for internships, etc.

On 6/6/2017 at 8:34 PM, speechfan222 said:

Ahhh. This information definitely helps. Thanks! 

I would be interested in working as a data analyst or data researcher, yeah. 

Will data analyst positions exist five, ten, fifteen years from now? Or will AIs and ASIs do most of the work?

• 3 weeks later...