MSW vs. Doctorate in psychology

I am between the two.  Identifying as a member of a vulnerable population, much of my personal  and academic growth of overcoming social adversities is highly interconnected to social justice issues. I am passionate that health begins with identifying, addressing and assimilating problem-solving tactics years before the development of mental health issues.  I am drawn to MSW programs for the ability of assimilating an holistic paradigm to disparities in mental health. 

I am also very  passionate  about   psychological  health, emphasis on substance abuse & LGBTQ issues.  the ability to provide assessment , conduct original research and teach are additions perks.   

My long -term career goals involve working in a clinical setting working with a substance abuse populations, teaching and part-taking in research.  

I am well aware of the differences in educational length, competitiveness, scope of practice, and long-term career ends. Reaching out to see if anybody else is in a similar predicament? and if so, what your decision processing looks like.

• 8 months later...

I am in a similar situation. I decided on going for an MSW, and becoming a LCSW to gain experience. However, I do want to pursue a PhD. I know that in the social work field they have the PhD in social work & DSW. I know for these programs, it is strongly recommended to apply once you have work experience. I am also considering a PhD in counseling psychology. I'm still not sure which route I want to go, so still trying to figure that one out! 

But I do plan on taking a break from school after MSW/ LCSW, so I'll have some time to figure out and narrow in on a program hopefully! 

I do plan on having my own practice and working with similar populations that you mention, especially with Latinos. I am also considering teaching at the university level for social work, but still not sure.