Rejected once, reapplying, advice please!

somanyquestions

I am looking to reapply to PhD programs in art history. I applied last round without success during my final semester of a Master's program and feel that finishing my thesis and everything else that entailed prevented me from giving my applications to PhD programs everything I could. I didn't graduate from undergrad with a terribly high GPA, took time off and worked, went back to school, and graduated from my Master's with a 3.9. I am wondering if anyone has an advice as to how to position myself to be more desirable for programs this second time around. I've been taking on curatorial jobs, taking classes at night, and planning on retaking my GREs. Is it inappropriate to reach out to professors you want to work with again for the second time around? What's the best way to approach this situation? Any advice would be so helpful! Thanks!!!

If you got along well with prospective advisors, probably no harm in reaching out to see about next cycle.  

Apart from the new luster on your statistics/CV, do you have an interesting project you want to be working on?

8 minutes ago, Concordia said:

If you got along well with prospective advisors, probably no harm in reaching out to see about next cycle.  

Apart from the new luster on your statistics/CV, do you have an interesting project you want to be working on?

Yes, I have actually been outlining a project that I think is particularly interesting and would hope to explore further in a potential program. Would it be helpful to bring this up as I reach out again? Are there any other things I can do as I begin this again? Thanks so much. 

1 hour ago, somanyquestions said:

I am looking to reapply to PhD programs in art history. I applied last round without success during my final semester of a Master's program and feel that finishing my thesis and everything else that entailed prevented me from giving my applications to PhD programs everything I could. I didn't graduate from undergrad with a terribly high GPA, took time off and worked, went back to school, and graduated from my Master's with a 3.9. I am wondering if anyone has an advice as to how to position myself to be more desirable for programs this second time around. I've been taking on curatorial jobs, taking classes at night, and planning on retaking my GREs. Is it inappropriate to reach out to professors you want to work with again for the second time around? What's the best way to approach this situation? Any advice would be so helpful! Thanks!!!

You must make significant changes in what you present to committees if it's the second time around. I don't know what documents you are asked to provide in art history, but be sure that your CV shows definite improvement, such as the curatorial jobs and any conferences you may have presented at or publications that are in the works. Your SOP probably needs to reflect what research interests you would like to pursue. Even though all of that may change, committees want to know you are focused and what you bring to the table. They also want to see some inkling of what you hope to gain by getting a PhD in their particular program. Doing all of this while working is exhaustive and overwhelming. Even if you were a fulltime student during your master's, you may have been working as a GA/TA/RA, so the same thing applies. Did you do any significant work for a professor regarding research, etc.? That can go on your CV. You need more than great grades/GRE. Do your professors from school know you well? You need outstanding LORs. You need to show committees you have the goods and that's why they should choose you over 200+ others applying for admission to the same program. 

1 hour ago, cowgirlsdontcry said:

You must make significant changes in what you present to committees if it's the second time around. I don't know what documents you are asked to provide in art history, but be sure that your CV shows definite improvement, such as the curatorial jobs and any conferences you may have presented at or publications that are in the works. Your SOP probably needs to reflect what research interests you would like to pursue. Even though all of that may change, committees want to know you are focused and what you bring to the table. They also want to see some inkling of what you hope to gain by getting a PhD in their particular program. Doing all of this while working is exhaustive and overwhelming. Even if you were a fulltime student during your master's, you may have been working as a GA/TA/RA, so the same thing applies. Did you do any significant work for a professor regarding research, etc.? That can go on your CV. You need more than great grades/GRE. Do your professors from school know you well? You need outstanding LORs. You need to show committees you have the goods and that's why they should choose you over 200+ others applying for admission to the same program. 

Thank you! This is incredibly helpful and puts things into perspective. 

• 3 months later...