My Quant Score is Horrific

WhatLikeItsHard

I took the GREs today and couldn't help but let out an exasperated, shocked laugh at my quant score of 142. Yikes!!! I did okay on verbal (152). My problem is that I really do struggle with standardized tests; I do mediocre at absolute best. I wasn't having a bad day, and I've been studying for months.

My concern is that if I take it a second time my scores will just somehow get worse, or stay the same. If the rest of my application is strong (strong GPA, I've been published, strong letters of rec, I've found faculty that my work experience and interests align with, etc.) will my failing score outright keep me out?

Thanks!

GRE scores are weighted differently by program! SO, it just depends on what you are applying for and their pool of applicants that year. 

I am currently enrolled in a Kaplan in person GRE prep course, and it is very structured. My scores are already improving. It is pricey, but I think it is worth it. (about 1200) You might want to look into it!

10 minutes ago, aud18 said:

GRE scores are weighted differently by program! SO, it just depends on what you are applying for and their pool of applicants that year. 

I am currently enrolled in a Kaplan in person GRE prep course, and it is very structured. My scores are already improving. It is pricey, but I think it is worth it. (about 1200) You might want to look into it!

I second what @aud18 said. Also, I generally don't like to plug products, but the Kaplan Premier was a tremendous help for me with all three parts of the exam. The book is about $40 (only prep I used, studied for 1.5 months), and the online content is pretty much exactly what you'd find on the exam. If you're thinking about retaking it, I'd put some serious consideration into Kaplan Premier (I used the 2016 version, but the 2017 version should be out now). Best of luck with the rest of the process!

Have you looked into what your program says they are looking for? I am applying to English programs, so most schools say I don't need a Q score at all. Only verbal. 

If you want to retake it, I third the Kaplan book! Really helped me. I had the 2016 one and my score raised 8 points in verbal in a month using that book to get a handle on how to answer questions, and what vocabulary comes normally. Good luck with whatever you decide!