Cornell PhD official paper letter

DJLamar

I'm still waiting for mine. I imagine they probably mailed them all out by Monday or Tuesday at the latest. I'm in Atlanta though so those giant blizzards were right in the middle of the path that my letter would probably follow. I really want to get my official letter to have all the details about things :)

I got denied for a Ph.D., but got accepted for a M.Eng. (which I'll probably take them up on)

You and everyone else, man. Their M.Eng is a big scam, and irrelevant for research minded individuals. I quote from their page: "The M.Eng. program in Computer Science is a one-year (two semester) professional development program designed to enhance professional skills in practical computer science. The program is particularly suited to students seeking advanced credentials for employment in industry." I can't imagine you'd be doing much research there, which would hurt your chances to a PhD program afterward..

I can't imagine you'd be doing much research there, which would hurt your chances to a PhD program afterward..

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. If I get accepted to any of my other schools then I won't be going to Cornell's M.Eng. program, but most of the programs I applied to are stretches, I think. Their website also states that if you were to do research with a professor while in the M.Eng. program that it could count as the project that you are required to complete to graduate. My thinking is that I would contact professors in my area (Computational Complexity/Graph Theory) and offer to help with their research before I actually commit to going and see how that goes. Cornell has many classes that are related to my interests and is also ranked as the #4 CS theory program in the country by the U.S. News and World Report, so I think I could try to twist it to my advantage.

I guess what I'm saying is that I'm going to try to make the best of what I have available to me and see how it goes. If it doesn't work out and I don't get accepted to any Ph.D. programs afterward at least I would have an Ivy League masters degree under my belt and probably be able to get a good industry job after I graduate. :mellow: