Best Budget Worksheet

Hi all,

I'm looking for a user friendly excel (or something else) worksheet that can help me plan out my budget on a month-to-month and annual basis. Any ideas? I've never seriously budgeted before, but I know that it will become necessary with added financial responsibilities (aka rent in high-cost college city). 

Thanks!

I'm always repping YNAB really hard to my friends who have any need for budgeting. YNAB (You Need A Budget) is a really valueable tool- it helped me save several thousand dollars for grad school and generally get control of my finances. It's not a passive system like Mint, its an active "Envelope" method. Its a spreadsheet system but with some additional features and a lot of education and support for budgeting. 

Its free for students for a year:

https://www.youneedabudget.com/landing/college/

Edited by qt_dnvr

14 hours ago, qt_dnvr said:

I'm always repping YNAB really hard to my friends who have any need for budgeting. YNAB (You Need A Budget) is a really valueable tool- it helped me save several thousand dollars for grad school and generally get control of my finances. It's not a passive system like Mint, its an active "Envelope" method. Its a spreadsheet system but with some additional features and a lot of education and support for budgeting. 

Its free for students for a year:

https://www.youneedabudget.com/landing/college/

Thank you. I ma wary of a service I would have to eventually pay for (taking money so that i can save money haha). I'll take a look at it though :)

16 hours ago, ProfessionalNerd said:

Hi all,

I'm looking for a user friendly excel (or something else) worksheet that can help me plan out my budget on a month-to-month and annual basis. Any ideas? I've never seriously budgeted before, but I know that it will become necessary with added financial responsibilities (aka rent in high-cost college city). 

Thanks!

Hi there! I'm using this one for now from themuse.com:

https://www.themuse.com/advice/going-to-grad-school-start-your-budget-now

If you scroll past the introduction, they have a budget template on Excel that I based by monthly budget on. The template has a monthly budget column and a yearly one too in the same template. Hope that helps! 

34 minutes ago, psyched64 said:

Hi there! I'm using this one for now from themuse.com:

https://www.themuse.com/advice/going-to-grad-school-start-your-budget-now

If you scroll past the introduction, they have a budget template on Excel that I based by monthly budget on. The template has a monthly budget column and a yearly one too in the same template. Hope that helps! 

This is great! It's a tad bit confusing (especially that final line), but i'll figure it out :) 

2 hours ago, Comparativist said:

Why not just make one yourself? Excel is fairly intuitive. 

I could. I just wanted to see what is already available.  If the wheel exists, why reinvent it? :P 

My dad is an accountant and set me up with a budget spreadsheet that I've been using for over three years now. I really like it, and it can easily be adjusted to your needs. I personally budget every two weeks along with my pay dates. I loaded mine onto a Google Sheet, so I am able to pull it up on my phone, and keep track of it along with a check register that I created. 

Empty Budget.xlsx