Welcome to the GradCafe

Hello!  Welcome to The GradCafe Forums.You're welcome to look around the forums and view posts.  However, like most online communities you must register before you can create your own posts.  This is a simple, free process that requires minimal information. Benefits of membership:

  • Participate in discussions
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Search forums
  • Removes some advertisements (including this one!)
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

German Residence Permit for U.S. citizens

3 posts in this topic

Does anyone have any experience or know of the process of obtaining a residence permit in Germany for study purposes? 

I'm planning on starting a masters program in Germany this fall, & I've received conflicting information about the proof of funds requirement. I'm unable to apply early through the U.S embassy because I won't have the money that's required saved up until a month or two prior, so I will have to wait to apply once in Germany , at the KVR. I emailed both the U.S embassy and the KVR and the embassy said I must have either a blocked bank account or scholorship to prove the funds. The KVR said a bank statement or confirmation from your parents, that they will support you will suffice. 

Also, if anyone knows of any alternative funding options (besides loans) please let me know. I've applied for the Deutschlandstipendium but it's competitive, so not a guarantee. I'd rather not have to continue working 70 hour weeks all summer long:wacko: 


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites


Proof of sufficient funding confirms that one can cover your studies financially. At least the cost of living in the first year in Germany should be covered. Generally 720 euros a month, hence 8640 euros is required for first year. Following forms are possible

Sufficient income of parents of assets and income (income tax statement plus declaration)

A German sponsor guarantees to cover your cost and issues a statement

A security amount must be paid to a blocked bank account

You are awarded a scholarship by a recognized foundation (DAAD, Fulbright)

For student visa, you need

valid passport

written acceptance to a German uni

Proof of sufficient funding (see above)

Additionally, you need to proof that you have a student health insurance cover when you apply for residence permit. You can bring your own international insurance if it is recognised in Germany. Otherwise, you join a German insurer and pay standard student rate of 80 euros a month.

Q: Can you get a federal education loan for MA studies in Germany?

DAAD (German Fulbright equivalent) is the best choice for internationals. Deutschlandstipendium is good.


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites


CakeTea as always has the best answer.

I have been using https://www.daad.de/deutschland/stipendium/en/ to look for funding. I am also planning to apply for the Deutschlandstipendium but I saw that FU Berlin is giving 24 out this take so it looks slim. I plan to just apply around, the political parties offer some. The DAAD scholarships look awesome, but you can't apply til later in the year.

I am in the same boat as you working a bunch to have enough money. I have an online job, so I plan to still work enough while in school to pay for my expenses.

Let me know if you come up with anything.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0