First Gen Student applying for Ph.D. - Advice?

CookieCat

Hello, all!

I'm a first gen college grad (graduated several years ago) who is looking for advice on applying to Ph.D. programs. I'll try to ask specific questions, but I want to give you some background info first. [FWIW, this isn't a "what are my chances" post. Not that there's anything wrong with that. ^_^]

Undergrad:
State School, B.A. History, summa cum laude
Activities included research assistantship, TA position, club president, study abroad, thesis

Grad School:
Large private, terminal degree, 3.6 GPA 
Activities: TA positions, grad assistant, no thesis
GRE (super old): 660v, 650q (~164v, 151q)

Work Experience: 
7 years in higher ed (staff) at small liberal arts colleges with some teaching experience 

Goals: 
-Pursue a Ph.D. to research cultural/historical trends in higher education
-Gain teaching position and/or a high-level administrative position. I have a solid background with admission and retention as well as ed tech implementations, which will be valuable in the higher ed space in the coming years (I think).

Questions:
1. My big question: I've been out of school for almost eight years. How do I make the case that I can perform compelling research?
2. Is my master's GPA low enough that I should comment on it in my personal statement? (There were four deaths of close family that year, including an immediate family member.)
3. Between you and me, I mentioned being first gen in this post because I don't have a lot of personal resources or family support for going back to school. I don't think it's going to be relevant in a SOP, though. Thoughts?

Edited by CookieCat

56 minutes ago, CookieCat said:

Questions:
1. My big question: I've been out of school for almost eight years. How do I make the case that I can perform compelling research?
2. Is my master's GPA low enough that I should comment on it in my personal statement? (There were four deaths of close family that year, including an immediate family member.)
3. Between you and me, I mentioned being first gen in this post because I don't have a lot of personal resources or family support for going back to school. I don't think it's going to be relevant in a SOP, though. Thoughts?

1. Have you found a potential project close to the ground (or through reading of journals)?  Talk about it as you're sounding out potential professors to study with. You may end up having a crisp analysis of a problem you'd like to solve.

2. Have your recommenders mention this if they are in a position to speak of it.  (Make sure they have a transcript and CV before they start.)  Also, if they have an opinion about your research aptitude, they should mention that.

3. No idea.  My applications didn't require that.

Edited by Concordia

On 6/13/2017 at 11:08 AM, CookieCat said:

Questions:

2. I did mention the circumstances that led to my low undergrad GPA. But I tried to do it in a brief mention inside a much longer sentence about all the things that I accomplished during my undergrad. It worked for me.

3. I had a letter writer mention that for me. If I hadn't known she was willing to do that, though, I think I would have mentioned it in my SOP. I believe it is relevant information--90% of low-income, first gen students don't graduate on time. So I think it puts my accomplishments into perspective.

On 6/13/2017 at 0:08 PM, CookieCat said:

Questions:

1.  This is not that unusual in higher ed PhDs.  My cohort of 10 had a range of ages mid 20's to early 40's and 3- 15 years of experience working in the field.  You make the case because you can talk about your research interests and about your rich experience of working in the field for eight years.  Competitive higher ed PhD programs are going to expect that you have multiple years of experience.  I had 5 years and I was on the lower end in my cohort.   Your multiple years of experience are going to help on the back end too when you are searching for jobs post PhD.

2.  Your master's GPA is fine.  I won't comment on it personally unless you ended up failing a course.  Grades are usually not critical factors that make or break your case unless there is concerns that you won't be able to handle the work.  A 3.6 is totally reasonable.  You want to spend much more time and energy figuring out who you want to work with and show how your research interests align with those people.  Yes, people.  You want to have at least 2 people that you would like to work with.

3.  First gen can be very relevant especially if the research/mission of the department is focused on access and equity.  I think you can mention it in a couple of sentences about it is one of the reasons that attracted you to the department and discuss how you are a first gen student.  If your research interests are on this too - I would mention it more but that doesn't seem to be the case.

A question you didn't ask is about your overall professional goals.  It seems like you are debating between academic or non academic positions.  I would pick a department that is going to give you experience in both if you are still not sure when you apply.  Good luck! 

• 2 weeks later...

1.) Read in your area of interest. Be able to speak about specific research questions that you'd like to tackle.

2.) No big deal.

3.) Yes, it seems it might be relevant, especially if it relates to your motivation for your area of research. However, like someone mentioned above, this can be touched on by your letter writers.