Interview for potential job.

Mugi Mila

I received an interview offer to become a Resident Director. I scheduled a phone interview and because I asked too late my interview is not this week, rather next week. However, I obtained the confirmation for the time and date...however I am expected to head over to the school for the interview. However, I don't have a car to make the 6 hour drive for the interview. I thought I stated a phone interview in my previous email and I suggested the time since I'm off from work on that day. Moreover, it gave me time before I picked up my cousins from school... 

I am going to call her directly. But how do I tell her this? I don't want the committee to think I'm lazy and stuff. I have commitments to make and cannot afford to head out on a short notice. 

What type of interview did they state it was in their initial email asking about your availability? Personally, I think it's a bit much to ask someone to drive 6 hours for a first round interview but, if you've already completed a preliminary phone/Skype interview, then this might be an in-person interview that they're requiring of everyone. If that's the case, you'll either need to find a way to make it there in person or politely withdraw from the search.

5 hours ago, rising_star said:

What type of interview did they state it was in their initial email asking about your availability? Personally, I think it's a bit much to ask someone to drive 6 hours for a first round interview but, if you've already completed a preliminary phone/Skype interview, then this might be an in-person interview that they're requiring of everyone. If that's the case, you'll either need to find a way to make it there in person or politely withdraw from the search.

It's a first round interview. I asked them for a phone interview, however they were booked on the day and time I asked. I asked the second time and got an email with directions which confused me. 

You reply to the confirmation email and/or to your latest email with the person who you've been corresponding with; you apologize for the confusion but state that you are unable to make an in-person visit at the time/location indicated in the email. I don't think there is much more you need to say than that it's 6 hours away and you already have other prior commitments scheduled at that time. I don't think anyone would think this makes you lazy. You then propose some other alternative times that would work for you, and end by thanking them for considering you for the position and reiterating your interest and excitement at the possibility of getting it.