To use scholarly sources in WS or not? Start from scratch?

aves

Hello all, I'm going to be applying for English PhD programs and a few Masters programs as well. Not every program specifies the type of sample they want, but I've seen a couple call for critical essays. I'm wondering if most programs prefer an essay analyzing a text with no scholarly sources (simply all of your own ideas/arguments) or if they'd prefer one that analyzes a text but utilizes scholarly sources? Does anyone have experience (good or bad) with either? Since this is for English programs, I really don't want to mess this part up! 

I have more well-written essays that only have the primary text as a source and an essay I have in mind that uses a lot of scholarly sources, but it needs work for sure. I would certainly be willing to make changes though. Or I was even thinking of starting from scratch, but being out of school for a couple of years now I don't have access to the databases like I used to. Any feedback is much appreciated! 

It is my belief that most English departments prefer critical essays with an argument that utilizes analysis as a way supporting their specific argument. I used a chapter of my Master's thesis before I added references to the other texts I was using of the author. It had a number of outside sources. I would think that you would submit a WS that is within the realm of your major research and focus area. For instance, I'm contemporary American Lit (both 20th/21st centuries, with a subgenre of Southern Lit). My WS encompasses both of those areas. I supported that idea within my SOP as to the research I wish to pursue. Since you have an undergrad degree, it is possible that your decisions regarding research and specialization are still in the forming stage. In that case use a paper you really liked and work on it.

Good luck!

17 hours ago, cowgirlsdontcry said:

It is my belief that most English departments prefer critical essays with an argument that utilizes analysis as a way supporting their specific argument. I used a chapter of my Master's thesis before I added references to the other texts I was using of the author. It had a number of outside sources. I would think that you would submit a WS that is within the realm of your major research and focus area. For instance, I'm contemporary American Lit (both 20th/21st centuries, with a subgenre of Southern Lit). My WS encompasses both of those areas. I supported that idea within my SOP as to the research I wish to pursue. Since you have an undergrad degree, it is possible that your decisions regarding research and specialization are still in the forming stage. In that case use a paper you really liked and work on it.

Good luck!

Thank you so much for your feedback!! That is definitely helpful to know! I think since I've been out of school for a couple years too, it'd just be too difficult to start from scratch, so I will improve upon an old paper. Thank you!

• 1 month later...