Welcome to the GradCafe

Hello!  Welcome to The GradCafe Forums.You're welcome to look around the forums and view posts.  However, like most online communities you must register before you can create your own posts.  This is a simple, free process that requires minimal information. Benefits of membership:

• Participate in discussions
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Removes some advertisements (including this one!)
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
techie_girl

Question about unusual bad grade (B and F) for a top student

3 posts in this topic

I went to a top 15 liberal arts college with a 3.76 GPA. I major in Math (Stats concentration) and Econ, also took a lot of Computer Science classes. My Math + Stats + CS GPA is around 3.81. 

I'm looking into masters program in statistics. My interest is computational statistics and machine learning. I was basically a top student with almost straight As in math, stats, and econometrics (nothing below an A-).

However, I got a B in Probability, which I took in Europe during junior year abroad. The grade for this class was determined by one single exam and something went wrong with me on that day. I got an A- in Mathematical Statistics and an A in Real Analysis though. 

Also, I basically failed an irrelevant class (Foreign Language Literature). I took that class pass/fail so it didn't affect my GPA. That class had a strict attendance policy that if you miss 3 lectures, you fail. I missed the first two lectures because I planned to drop the class, but then decided to stay. Unfortunately I slept through one more lecture. 

Do those two bad grades hurt my chances at top school, even with good records otherwise? I would appreciate your advice. 

The B won't matter as long as you have taken enough other classes in math/stat. 

The F doesnt matter at all.