Looking for a little guidance

Johannes Climacus

Hello, Im currently looking at the University of Utah's MA in Philosophy. I was wondering if anyone could give me a ball park estimate of my chances of acceptance. I majored in Christian studies at a regionally/nationally accredited university. I graduated with a 4.0 but took only two philosophy classes (intro and ethics) so i imagine that im not that desirable of a candidate. I am also worried that I will not have strong references because  I was not very close to many professors and by the time i am planning on applying (january 2018) It would have been two years since i graduated with my BA and last contacted my former teachers. Because of mental health issues, I am for the most part unable to attend school anywhere outside of Utah, so the U of U is my only real option here. Thank you in advance for  the advice. 

If it's the only place you can apply, why worry about your chances? Just chase the strongest recommendations you can get, craft a solid writing sample, and put some time into explaining (in your letter) why you think an MA in philosophy (rather than whatever your BA subject was) is right for you.

I recommend, both for your application's sake and for your own academic readiness, that you take upper-division post-bac coursework in philosophy this summer or fall. A strong grade in even one recent philosophy course will help reassure the MA committee that you are genuinely interested in the discipline. I have found that, even though the coursework is not particularly challenging at my local university, just being around philosophers and students again has gotten me back into a philosophical (that is, rigorous) mindset that I hope will pay off in my applications. By taking a course or two you could also gain a strong, recent, and relevant recommendation – which will be especially useful if the other letters you will have are from theology or religious studies professors. Lastly, if you take a course with a writing component, you can use that work and the feedback you get on it as a writing sample, rather than using ancient work from undergrad or doing the intimidating alternative and starting from scratch. I, too, have been out of undergrad for a few years (graduated 2014), and none of the writing I did back then feels representative of my interests or ability now. 

Incidentally, I also come from Theology/religious studies. Out of curiosity, what is your area of interest? (Kierkegaard?)