Listing presentations on resume?

ChemGrad

Question

I have had to present several papers (that I did not author) for both my university chemistry department and the entire Research and Development department of my current company. Each presentation was formal and lasted over an hour. Is it poor taste to list these presentations on my resume being that I did not conduct the experiments myself? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

3 answers to this question

2 hours ago, ChemGrad said:

I have had to present several papers (that I did not author) for both my university chemistry department and the entire Research and Development department of my current company. Each presentation was formal and lasted over an hour. Is it poor taste to list these presentations on my resume being that I did not conduct the experiments myself? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

This just sounds like Journal Club, and I would say that does not count. You wouldn't list others' publications on your resume, would you? The same is true for presentations on others' work. The only presentations listed on my resume and CV are those that include research I participated in. As I'm getting more senior in graduate school, I'll soon start weeding out presentations that were for departmental seminars and leave only those at meetings, etc.

3 minutes ago, biotechie said:

This just sounds like Journal Club, and I would say that does not count. 

Oh! yeah, in that case, I don't think this counts for very much. In general, institution-internal presentations are something you'll probably want to remove from your CV as you progress in your program. The ones to keep are invited presentations at other institutions and peer-reviewed conference presentations (of your own work, of course).